PDA

View Full Version : Hikari discus food

yeomans
05-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Hello, I was just wanting to know some feedback on Hikari discus food. Does anyone else use this, or has tried this? They don't sell this at my LFS and I was thinking abput ordering some. I just wanted to know what others opions are about this product. thanks josh

Alight
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
My Discus love the stuff, but it's very expensive and I've not found and good source that give a reasonable reduction for large amounts of it.

It is also very smelly, and will make your tank, and your room smell like sewage if you don't have strong ventilation in the room.

It has a great nutritional profile, and the fish do pork up on it.

I feed it only as an occasional treat because of the cost and the smell.

Al Light

Desertdiscus
05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
I use it but it is a little pricey, 10 dollars. After I finish with it , I will stick with the tetra bits. My discus seem to prefer it.

Jim

Jeckel
05-01-2006, 09:52 PM
I mix it with Tetra Bits. My discus like it, except the one or two that refuse any kind of pellets.

Jerry

gators111
05-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Mine hated it. I ended up giving it to a friend with a cichlid tank. They gobbled it up of course.

AmberC
05-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Mine love them http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_4_17.gif

Amber

White Worm
05-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Mine too!

CliffsDiscus
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I have used it but as Al has already mention it is smelly.
I have never used it since.

Cliff

Ann
05-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Mine refuse to eat it even when I mix it with tetra bits.

goldengatediscus
05-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Makes the whole tank and room smell like hell. Will never use again.
Brigitte

AmazonRainbows
05-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Is Hikari Discus food a kind of specialized discus food like Jack Whatley Discus Formula?

I use Hikari as only source of frozeen food. I use the Blood worm, Misys and Brine shrimp. It is 6$ CAN for a pack of 300gr. and I get a 25% discount ordering a 12 pack at Big Al's. My Discus are very picky and still not eat wat they don't like after a 4 days fastening.

Feed with:
Color bits : Some young and some adult like it (feed when fish very hungry)
Brine Shrimp : Some young and some adult like it (trash a lot the water)
Misys shrimp: Most young and adult like it
Blood worm: They all go crazy and eat like pigs.

Feeding with only blood worm I feel like fish don't have enought time to ingest the food. Some time I saw fish expeling blood worm almost red. So I altern Blood worm with Brine Shrimp but Brine Shrimp trash a lot the water.

Since I replace the Brine Shrimp with Misys my Discus get a very nice and healty shape. I'm realy happy about this change. The only draw back is fish below 3 inchs find it hard to eat if not.

MusicCitySteve
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Yes, it does stink, and no, my fish don't like it...

I bought 2 pouches and I may try to grind some in next time I make a batch of beef heart to get rid of them.

rsawest@yahoo.com
05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree, it's kind of smelly and it's expensive. The cheapest place online is at That Fish Place.

I only feed it about once a week because of its cost. I think Tetra Bits is a better value.

HTH,

Linda

AmberC
05-09-2006, 12:44 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_6.gifThats funny cause mine does not smell any differently from any other fish food.. nor does it make my tank or house smell..... and I really dont find it to be that expensive unless you are feeding it for every mean. I feed it once a day and I'm not even halfway thru my bag and I have had the bag for a couple of months now.

Amber

Alight
05-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Amber, either you have very good ventilation in your house, especially around your fish tank, or your fish are consuming the food within minutes of being in the water.

The food doesn't smell so bad when it's dry. If it sits in the tank for more than 10 minutes, though, it emits a terrible sewage-like odor.

If the fish eat it quickly, I dont' notice the odor, though, so it doesn't increase the smell of the fish waste at all.

AmberC
05-09-2006, 03:07 PM
oh ok.. well that must be it then because they do not leave any. They always eat it right up when I drop it in.

Amber