PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of a 25g Discus Aquarium?

Nightshop
05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Hello.

Over my past 5 years of fish keeping I have successfully kept most of the known Botia species and I have even managed to raise and breed angel fish. My tall 25g aquarium was once a successful planted aquarium where I had managed to breed my angel fish. Since then, I have sold my angel fish and replaced them with two of my Botia Kubotai. I also added live plants once again and they are doing fine. The substrait is 40lbs of Eco Plant Complete. Temp: 83° F. PH: 7.0 No nitrates and only miminal traces of amonia.
I have come here to ask if it is possible to house a few discus in this aquarium . . . ? I'm open to any specific questions relating to the aquarium or the quality of the water.

traco
05-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I'd think you could house a confirmed adult pair but someone more knowledgeable will be able to answer yes or no.

RyanH
05-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi there,

As Traco said, an adult pair may be an option for you.

I would not recommend juveniles. They do best in groups and they need very clean water to grow and thrive. A planted 25 would not be a good environment for them IMO.

hth
-Ryan

Nightshop
05-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks for your responces.

I don't think the quality of the water will be of any trouble, so long as I keep up with the daily w/c and keep a tub of aging water.

My LFS always has juvenile discus for sale, but I don't think I have ever seen any adults in stock. I'll definately ask an employee about it next time I'm up there.

Also, in the next few weeks I'm going to begin construction on a 120g+ aquarium for my Lake Maliwai Cichlids which are currently housed in a 50g.
It's going to be a wise move because an aquaintence of mine installed all the glass for the Monterey Bay Aquarium here in California, and can get me everything I need for free.

pcsb23
05-03-2006, 03:59 AM
I have grown out juvvies in a planted tank, it can be done BUT trust me on this don't do it.

To get the best from juvvies they need regular and frequent feeding, often of messy foods like beefheart. When feeding 6 times a day in a planted tank the water quality suffers, doing daily (and I did for a while do twice daily!) water changes on a planted tank leads to all sorts of probs too with the plants. Even then keeping the substarte clean is next to impossible.

Why don't you wait until the 50 is free, then put 6 to 8 juvvies in there setup as BB and grow them out in that. You will have far less problems and a greater chance of success.

Jarrod
05-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Paul is giving you some of the best advice there is...
I agree with him 100% on it...my tanks are all BB and I still do a 50-90% wc change daily...the BH is a good food for them but one that makes water changes essential. The rule of thumb I try and follow is to allow 10 gal per fish. That gives them room to grow out nicely and thrive. Best of luck with them and enjoy!
Jarrod

tpl*co
05-03-2006, 10:15 AM
hmmm, 25 gallon tall, 40 lbs of substrate and plants, how much swimming room are we talking here? Consider an adult discus is 5-6" around and if you have 2, this could be pretty cramped. (like living in a closet?). Yes, breeder tanks are often 20-30 gallons, but they are bb with sponges, cones and heaters only, not full of plants and substrate. Also, you'd definitely have to stay on top of the water changes in a tank that size with large fish. I'd wait till you can set up the bigger tank for them.

Tina