PDA

View Full Version : RO question

Ed13
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I`ve been in this hobby for a long time, never thought that I would ever
spend money on a discus until the discovery of this site about a year and a half ago:mad: . Now I'm addicted to discus big time (this is the good part:D )and need some assistance.
Please help if you can.
Recently I bought an R.O. system, however I failed to notice that theres not enough PSI coming from the tap line. I'm wondering if I can have a water storage container filled and the use regular water pump to deliver water to the RO and collect the product water on another container. If so what PSI would be the best 70ish? In an effort to waste less water could I preheat the water before it goes to the RO?

I'm gonna be spending a lot of hard earned $$$ on some Wattley discus and new tanks so I want to do things right.

Thanks in advance!

pcsb23
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Ed,

You can get inline pumps that connect between the feed and the RO unit, they boost the pressure to quite a high (but safe) level. Not sure of the exact specs, or prices. I'm guessing you are in the USA so I can't help with suppliers. Best to PM RandalB, hes one of the mods and sponsors here and if he doesn't do them any more he will know where to send you!

hth,

RandalB
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Ed,
Get a booster pump and see if that does the trick. I recommend the Aquatec 8800. Best on the market. Should hit you for $125 or so and will save you tons of $$ on Water and Heating.

HTH,
RandalB

Ed13
05-03-2006, 04:26 PM
I live in Puerto Rico in the caribbean so heating part of the question was only regarding efficiency, but I'm always looking to save $. I'll check the net for the recommended solution, let's see what it turns out. I forgot to mention that the containers where going on another room where theres no water faucet and where going to be filled using a hose from the house then use the pump to run the RO. I picked this room because it will keep tank water mid 80's year round without the use of heaters, like I said I'm always looking to save $(to many watts being used by planted tanks) Plus I have acces to pumps real cheap.
Given this situation is it worth it to attemp such a setup, even if its just experimental?

BTW maybe in the near future you guys could help me with a discus pond! It's been in my mind a while now:undecided:
Thanks