PDA

View Full Version : Family picture!

MiamiDan
05-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I managed to convince part of my collection to pose for a pic, so in order from left to right:
top row: Juvi Red Melon, Golden Albino
2nd row: juvi Cobalt, Golden Albino
3rd row: two White Butterflies, Red Turquoise
4th row: Red Turq, Scribbled Red, Red Panda, Blue Diamond
& behind Blue Diamond, is a shy Leopard Snakeskin! :D

greyhoundfan
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
it's like taking a group family shot of all the kids.. well done.

how big is your tank? I have a 100Gallon tank and wanted to stock it with 12-14 discuses.

MiamiDan
05-04-2006, 09:59 AM
it's like taking a group family shot of all the kids.. well done.

how big is your tank? I have a 100Gallon tank and wanted to stock it with 12-14 discuses.
My tank is 180 gal & I have 30 discus from juvies to adults. The rule of thumb is one discus per 10 gals of water, but if you have good filtration, aeration & water changes; that capacity can be doubled. Most people and breeders use only sponge filters. I got 2 sponge filters, dual wet-dries powered by a Little Giant pump, a water polisher, a canister filter, UV sterilizer and outside w/dry hanging filter and change my water 35% daily.:D

greyhoundfan
05-04-2006, 06:26 PM
wow 180G that explains it.. I could count 14 discuses in that one shot. I want to push the envelope just a little. I can manage WCs twice a week but not every day.

I have two Fluval 404s and two sponge filters. Thank you for the response.

bigfish
05-05-2006, 07:58 AM
My tank is 180 gal & I have 30 discus from juvies to adults. The rule of thumb is one discus per 10 gals of water, but if you have good filtration, aeration & water changes; that capacity can be doubled. Most people and breeders use only sponge filters. I got 2 sponge filters, dual wet-dries powered by a Little Giant pump, a water polisher, a canister filter, UV sterilizer and outside w/dry hanging filter and change my water 35% daily.:D
Agree with that MiamiDan, yes i have 15 large discus in 100gal plenty of filtration,aeration and water changes, and lovely soft Scottish Water.
Regards
Ben.

SSteino86
05-05-2006, 03:17 PM
You said you run dual wet/drys Dan. Did your tank come drilled or did you drill it yourself. Did you purchase the wet/drys or are they home made?

MiamiDan
05-05-2006, 03:54 PM
You said you run dual wet/drys Dan. Did your tank come drilled or did you drill it yourself. Did you purchase the wet/drys or are they home made?
This was sold as a "reef tank", with corner pre-drilled outlets. Here's a pic of it before I set it up. So the water flows out from each corner. Underneath most people connect the tubes with a "Y" connector & discharge on a single wet dry. I decided to increase the bio-filtering capacity & used individual wet-dries for each corner & then united the w/d's out pipes after filtering. One trick I learn to increase the bio-filtering capacity is not to leave the ends of that type of tank empty...both ends of the tank are filled with bio-balls too!

greyhoundfan
05-05-2006, 06:36 PM
nice tank, you're my kind of guy.. especially with the fishing pole in the back ground. That is also one of my passions.. Although this discus thing has slightly over taken it. Fishing in Miami, FL must be great with the jacks, tarpon, red fish..etc.

Spices
05-07-2006, 09:38 AM
The tank looks very nice and colorful. I can imagine what a full photo shot of it looks like. :) Nice job going. And I totally agree with you, having plenty of discus in a tank is not a hard thing...it's all in your maintenance plans! :D

Congratulations!
*Angie*

alpine
05-07-2006, 10:36 AM
The stand looks pretty different. I like it. Could you give us a front shot of the tank and stand ?
Thanks,
roberto.

kaceyo
05-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Very nice setup. Wish I could have something like that in my condo but it would make the downstairs neighbors nervous. How do you keep the bioballs in the overflows from trapping waste material?
That stand does look interesting. Did you build it?

Kacey