PDA

View Full Version : new discus

millincolin
05-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Yesterday i added 2 new discus to my show tank (90Gal) bringing the total to 8. They where in qt for about a month treated for paracites and such. There realy getting beaten up by my other fish they have turned almost completly white, they havent stoped panting, and there fins are gettin torn up pretty bad. I hope its not fin rot. It been so long scence I bought new fish I forgot how bad it is for the new guys. So hear ar my questions. How long is it normal for this beahavior to last? If i have a case of fin rot what treatment should i use. Is normal table salt ok for a treatment?

pcsb23
05-04-2006, 03:02 PM
If the show tank is planted salt will kill the plants so be warned. Before you go adding meds or salt (although I class salt as a med) try moving some decor around in the tank, do some major cleaning, scrubbing or maintenance on it, even if it doesn't need it. The purpose of moving stuff around is to disorient or distract the existing fish and give them something else to think about. Another thing to try is to take the dominant discus out and put that in the QT tank overnight and then put it back, sounds daft but it has worked for me in the past.

hth,

bennyblanco
05-04-2006, 03:26 PM
for fin rot i use melafix.but do you know if is the other fish doing this are is it fin rot.

millincolin
05-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Yesterday before I even put the fish in i did a re planting and cleaning. I dont think that moving things again would help. As for removing the dominant discus i wouldnt know whitch one to take out as they are all farly dominant.I dont think ill be medacating until the fighting settles down though that way I can tell for sure if its fin rot or not.

bennyblanco
05-04-2006, 07:05 PM
take your time to figure thingsout