PDA

View Full Version : tank size

azzndude2005
05-05-2006, 12:57 AM
I got 8 2inch discus in a 75gal tank. Do you guys think this is too big? They're always staying close to one another and when I feed them, they usually eat at one corner and not move until force them to move with a stick. Its like they don't know there's food or maybe they're scare.

Martin
05-05-2006, 02:55 AM
They could be a little stressed, in that case its not a good idea to poke them with a stick.
If you want them to move around more, be patient and let them calm down.

pcsb23
05-05-2006, 04:11 AM
I think I would be stressed if I were being poked with a stick all the time!

Wither put them in a smaller tank, or put a divider in and make their space smaller. They have probably come from a 55g tank with say 30 fish in it so they are feeling insecure with all that space. They would do fine in a 29g tank for the next 6 weeks or so. When theyve settled and grown you can then move them into the 75.

BIGFOOT
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I would not move the fish to a new tank. This will cause them to be more scared and more stress to the fish. I have 8 Bds in a 75 gallon it took about 6weeks for them to calm down. Mine also have their favorite corner they like just so happen to be the front right corner. Butt they do move around and chase food.

Timbo
05-05-2006, 06:48 AM
is your tank cycled????

i suspect not

05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
You will see an improvement in the confidence of your young juvs by having them in a smaller tank. This also means increased maintenance to keep the water clean. I recently experienced this very situation with 8 2 inch in a 55 and when I moved them to my 37 they felt more comfortable. If it's been a week or so since you moved them last then I would not hesitate to move them again(I move my discus all the time)

Coralred
05-05-2006, 11:14 AM
You will see an improvement in the confidence of your young juvs by having them in a smaller tank. This also means increased maintenance to keep the water clean. I recently experienced this very situation with 8 2 inch in a 55 and when I moved them to my 37 they felt more comfortable. If it's been a week or so since you moved them last then I would not hesitate to move them again(I move my discus all the time)

Agreed better move to smaller tank if you have them for only a week. If not just monitor them, they will get use but may need more time.

SSteino86
05-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Ya try to abstain from the stick poking. They'll come around.

azzndude2005
05-10-2006, 12:57 AM
My small discus are used to the large tank now. They actually grew a bit. They're 2 and 1/2 inch now for about 1 week. I'm really suprise that they grew so fast. I didn't really poke them, just more the tubbing close to them so they'll move. I wanted them to finish eating so I could clean up the tank, but now I don't need to. Now they spend all their time looking for food, I don't need to encourage them anymore. Instead of moving them into a smaller tank, I just fill less water. Now they're used to the tank, I just raise the water level to the top.