PDA

View Full Version : Discus in Tap water?

rrguymon
05-07-2006, 04:50 AM
Hello,

I am thinking about getting a couple discus for my planted 50 gallon tank. I live in Albuquerque NM and the water is pretty hard here. The ph is about 7.8 after setting over night. The KH is 8ish and the GH is 6ish. I have found conflicting information about discus and hard water and the requirment for RO.

I have eco complete for a substrate and inject CO2. The tank is heavily planted.

Do you think I can keep discus and keep them healthy in my Tap water? I have no desire to get the fish to spawn. I just want a couple of happy healthy discus. I really do not want to become a water warrior and go the RO route either. If my water is unsuitable I will probably pass and not get any.

Thanks
Rick

bennyblanco
05-07-2006, 06:00 AM
ph and hardness is no problem for the discus,but if you want to breed the water have's to be soft!!!

Tony_S
05-07-2006, 08:54 AM
In addition to Benny's comments...if your not interested in becoming a 'water warrior' and taking into account you have a planted tank, start out with adult discus.
Juvinial discus are difficult to grow out in a planted tank...impossible with minimal waterchanges.

Tony

AADiscus
05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
I agree with Tony, start out with adult discus. If you have live plants in there will they (plants) beable to with stand the higher temperature that discus need?

marilyn1998
05-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Please dont keep 2-3 discus. They never do well in those numbers and will fight and get sick or die. 6 discus is a good number. I agree, get adults.

ShinShin
05-07-2006, 05:14 PM
There are other nice fish to keep that fit your water parameters. I strongly disagree with the comment that pH and hardness are no problem for discus. Because people keep them in less than ideal water parameters, and oftentimes in water beyond less than ideal, does not mean that it is no problem for the discus.

Mat

rrguymon
05-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

OK sounds like the water is ok and my plants will take the heat. I am running about 84 now. My wife likes the house hot haha.

My tank may be too small however. It is 50 gallon and I think putting 6 discus in there would overload it. I also have a dozen or so cardnals I want to keep with them.

I have some more research and thinking to do I guess. I do plan to upgrade to a 75 gallon in the next year or two. Sounds like I should it just wait.

Rick

thebluyak
05-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I was shooting for four discus in my planted 55 gallon tank, with some tetras and a bristlenose cat. Would you want to get more discus or is 4 a good number?

RyanH
05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
4 fish will likely cause problems for you.

Discus will form a heirarchy and with only 4 fish, you will likely have 1 or 2 that will get picked on pretty badly.

Discus also feel safer and more secure in larger numbers. Your fish will be more outgoing and less timid if you keep them in a group of 6 or more.

JMHO

-Ryan

Planted
05-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Hello,
I use RO/DI and I dont have a big problem?
I have mine setup on timers and use different valves to control it but its just as easy as tap water...I dont have 1000 gallons available like the water tap does but I produce the amount of water I need.

The only stressful times are now...I am setting up two new 75 gallon tanks. I need 150 gallons of RO water + my normal maintenance. This can be a small problem...but hey if your not patient this isnt the right hobby for you....RIGHT!??! LOL! ;)

I would highy recommend getting the 90 gallon, not the 75 for Discus. My 90 gallon is soo perfect for my Discus. There is plenty of water column space for them to eat, there is plenty of room for them to school and swim around. I have 75's also and they are great but just spend a few extra bucks and get the taller tank. Its the same footprint.