PDA

View Full Version : Young fish thrashing about

Riche_guy
05-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I have two young Checkeredboard discus in my quaratine tank which I had there for about 6 to 8 weeks trying to grow them out before putting them into the main tank. I had gone away for 3 weeks and have returned to find one of these fish swimming up and down a corner of the tank and when I am there he thrashes about the tank knocking the sides. I've never seen him do this before and of the two was the most dominant. He now appears really stressed since I've been back about 4 days now darting back and forth in the corner. Very strange. I think I will refrain from placing into main tank now. Any suggestions?

April
05-07-2006, 12:13 PM
check your nitrates..and your ph. a ph drop can cause skittishness..and high nitrates can make them like that. do a big wc..and see if it helps.

Riche_guy
05-07-2006, 03:45 PM
check your nitrates..and your ph. a ph drop can cause skittishness..and high nitrates can make them like that. do a big wc..and see if it helps.

I checked the chemistry and all is normal. Nothing strange there. My fish does not look well though. Nothing out of the ordinary occured except for my leaving for 3 weeks and my girlfriend took over. I must say though that 2 discus in the main tank are nervous too hiding in the back a little dark also. what is happening??????? :confused:

Discusgeo2
05-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Riche I have no idea what may be happening but I would do the large water change anyway. You haven't been home for three weeks and maybe something else fell into the water. Did your girlfriend add any new ornaments to the tank? Is there anything new at all in the tank?

Riche_guy
05-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Riche I have no idea what may be happening but I would do the large water change anyway. You haven't been home for three weeks and maybe something else fell into the water. Did your girlfriend add any new ornaments to the tank? Is there anything new at all in the tank?

There is absolutely nothing new. I will do a WC anyways. I guess 50% will be good.

AmazonRainbows
05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
RIche,

Is you or your girlfriend werring perfum? If so do you put your hands or arm in the water?

Riche_guy
05-07-2006, 07:59 PM
RIche,

Is you or your girlfriend werring perfum? If so do you put your hands or arm in the water?

Not that I know. Since I've arrived thursday I have been the only one taking care of the fish and their behaviour has not changed. Very weird.

keith_cny
05-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Riche

How many WC's were done while you were gone??

Riche_guy
05-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Riche

How many WC's were done while you were gone??

Every second day.

AmazonRainbows
05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Are they loosing slim coat? Opaque water? Are they in a BB tank? What is the filtering system use in this tank? Is filter maintenace has been done when you where away?

I got this behaviour from my fish when water quality is not optimum. Amonia make them very nervous and they trash in windows.

This behaviour can come from amonia even if test are telling amonia level is good. It's like filter or gravel (if you have some in the tank) slowly release amonia that make a wave before getting 100% dilute in the water. When fish happend to move in this 'wave' they trash or get pretty nervous.

If you are on tap water/conditionner I will do a 50% WC every day. If you are on a filtered water system I would do a 75% WC every day. You need to make the WC everyday or more often then what you are actualy doing.

How often do you do the WC and how big?

AmazonRainbows
05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Every second day.

I would do it daily. Is you filtering system filter only water for Amonia/NItrite/Nitrate or some food can get clog in it? If you look carefully in many thread and picture you will found that most Discus keeper put a sponge on the filter intake. If you don't and feed your fish while filter is running you will end up with food rotting inside the filter slowly releasing amonia and have problem keeping your water clear. If you remember when you pass by I cut my filter the time I feed my fish. If I didn't do it I would have to go with sponge on intake and a daily bottom cleaning.

April
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
true..id rinse the filter sponges...not too much..or one at different times..so you dont lose your bio. but if your filters are full of gunk..youd also get ph changes..id do a wc daily for awhile. and depending on your water..you could do as much as an 80 percent one once..then taper back to 50 percent.

Riche_guy
05-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Well I'm happy to say that my young Checkerboard discus is doing better. I thought I was going to lose him when he looked littless and lost all his colours. Fins were droopy as well and no appetite. Last night I noticed his appetite came back and he was eating. Colours have returned and he is now fighting with his tank mate. This was the dominant fish, but he was the one getting bullied when he was sick. It is amazing how they go from one state to the other so quickly. I haven't witness any thrashing since yesterday. Let us hope all goes well.

Thanks all for your concern.

Riche_guy
05-12-2006, 07:05 PM
The fish is doing well. He has returned to being the dominant fish. little battles occur showing that his strength has fully returned. No more thrashing. what happened only god knows.