PDA

View Full Version : SUMP FILTER good deal? Please reply asap!

tiara1018
05-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi Guys!
I am about to go pick up a new aquarium and found this sump filter for $100 Is this a good deal? Should I take it? Here is the link, please check it out and reply asap....I am leaving in like 30 minutes! Thank you so so so much! Tiara

http://seattle.craigslist.org/for/156590199.html

greyhoundfan
05-07-2006, 11:48 PM
don't know squat about sump filters.. hope it worked out for you.:D

tiara1018
05-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Thanks Greyhoundfan,
I went and picked up the aquarium from the lady.....but I told her I needed to think about the sump. I think I'm gonna get it, But any opinions appreciated!

Tiara

Dood Lee
05-08-2006, 03:40 AM
What are the dimensions of the sump? The listing says it's good for up to an 80 gallon aquarium, so for $100 it seems to me that it's a pretty good deal.

Timbo
05-08-2006, 07:20 AM
didnt see the overflow in the pic, make sure it comes with one, doesnt work well without it :)

$100 seems all right

tpl*co
05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
I'd say so too since I've seen those filters go for a couple of 100 at the LFS. Never ran one though, a lot of fish stores are telling me it is the way to go for bigger tanks though.

Tina

JimmyL
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
For Max. 80 gall. Depending on your set up. It needs storage space of this unit. It's good for a show tank that you want to hide the filter and have holes drilled and overflow. That's fine but still too small. It's a very limited. For salt water fish that needs no water change for the next 3 months is fine but too small for discus and may requires too much maintenance. For a single tank. An Aquaclear can do a better job with less hook up. Sump is for a series of tanks connected together to a massive filter with min. of 40-60 gallon capacity.
Jimmy

tpl*co
05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Listen to Jimmy! LOL! I have no experience in this but I think the tank needs to be drilled? Is the tank you bought drilled (or has an overflow)?

Tina

tiara1018
05-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi Again!
I just bought the tank from this person and the stand is already drilled and she has it all worked out for the tank (tank isn't drilled but she has everything set up and balanced). Its about a 15 gallon sump, She wanted the overflow for another $50, but I was planning on just offereing $100 for it all. I am getting so mixed reviews....Some people say the sump filter is the way to go for a 70gallon aquarium, others not. Thank you all for your replies! Keep um coming;)

Tiara

Moon
05-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Wet/dry trickle filters are great for large tanks. I have two home made units running 125 and 100g tanks. Very little maintenance, good oxigenating and nitrification properties with clutter free tanks and max capacity for inches of fish.
You do need an overflow unit or drilled tank for the inlet. The filter media (bioballs) need to be about 10% of the tank volume. I built mine out of old 10 & 15 g tanks, some eggcrate and silicone.
Joe

tiara1018
05-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, and she said she bought it for $350 about a year ago. I asked what the GPH were, and she didn't know exactly....Said that the pump will shoot about 4 feet in the air though(if hooked to a fountain)....I dont know what that means...but..yeah:p

Tiara

tpl*co
05-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Is there a reason she didn't drill the tank and set it up before selling it? Being a glass tank, can it be easily drilled? I'm worried that it might be a PITA to drill it especially since it is heavier glass, but if you already have the tank and something happens you'll be the one left holding the bag? What other types of filters do you have that you can use on it?

Tina

tiara1018
05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, it doesn't need to be drilled since it has an overflow. Then on the oposite site of the tank it has another tube that hangs over the top. I dont have any other filters for it yet. I just got it yesterday. She seemed to think that the sump was the only think I would need and that its amazing or something. Its so confusing since I dont know much about this sort of filter.

Tiara

Moon
05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
You will need an overflow box and a pump that can handle the volume. Looks like the pump has a 4ft lift. You need to know the the gals/hr capacity of the pump. It should be labelled on the pump. What is the brand name of the pump?
hth
Joe

Moon
05-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Tiara
The overflow box takes water out of the tank and trickles it through the filter media. The filtered water is pumped up to the tank through the over hang tube.
Joe

pcsb23
05-08-2006, 01:12 PM
It would be worth getting the tech specs on the pump if possible. Name and model number would do it. Without any doubt or question sumps are the most efficient form of filtration for aquariums. All the serious reef keepers use sumps (and refugiums but thats another story...). In particular the guys that keep SPS Corals all use sumps, water quality for SPS Corals has to be higher than that for discus. I use a sump on my 6 tank rack, if I could fit sumps in the cabinets of my display tanks I'd use sumps there too!

There are a number of ways of getting the water out of the tank and into the sump. Some require the tank to be drilled, some use a hang on the side overflow box. As this tank isn't drilled the latter would make more sense. These are easy enough to make, but there are a lot of ready made ones out there. I would try and do a deal and get the overflow she used if poss include with the sump. Getting the water back into the tank is easy!

You've probably guessed I'm a big fan of sumps! You can even use sponges in sumps - makes maintenance easier. I've recently changed the media in my sump to use the eheim substrat pro, which is the best fiilter media I have ever used.

hth,

pcsb23
05-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, it doesn't need to be drilled since it has an overflow. Then on the oposite site of the tank it has another tube that hangs over the top.

She seemed to think that the sump was the only think I would need and that its amazing or something. Its so confusing since I dont know much about this sort of filter.

Tiara

Tiara,

Sorry just re-read this bit. Are you saying there is a predrilled hole? or is there an existing overflow box in place?? A pic may help my poor confused mind :confused::o

tiara1018
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey Paul!
Lol.....no there is not drilled holes in the tank at all. Just the pre-existing overflow box. But, she does have holes drilled in the Stand...And hood of the tank so that all the tubing goes through and up to the tank. Thanks so much for your help:)

Tiara

pcsb23
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Tiara,

If you've got the overflow box already then the sump makes even more sense, if not then you may want to try and deal with her. I can't think the overflow box would be of much use to her!

Timbo
05-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Tiara, if you are unfamiliar with w/d filters, i'd just stick to a HOB and sponge. w/d dries are more complicated, more expensive, more finicky, and more things can go wrong. (having 12 years experience with them, they are way more problematic than hob's and sponges and there is no real additional benefit to having one on a standard discus tank)

they are excellent for heavily loaded tanks that dont get much water changes, neither being the case with discus

you cannot cut back on your maintenance and water changes just because you have a w/d either as they do not remove nitrates.

get an AC500 and a sponge for 60 bucks and thank me later :)