View Full Version : broken PC

wolfbane
05-10-2006, 07:33 PM
My computer is sooooooo broke! Stuck in a reboot loop, can't get to safe mode, can't shut down without using the main power switch on the back! I'm having Simply withdrawls, can only use the hubby's computer for a little while each day!
AAARRRGH!!

brewmaster15
05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Debbie I feel for you... I found out the other day that although a laptop in the fish room was great for ease of access here....they don't like water.:( it was an old thing but I toasted it good.

-al

Cosmo
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I think you tap the F5 key while the computer is booting to get into safe mode.. think being the key word :p

wolfbane
05-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks Al, I have this love/hate relationship with my computer! When its working, I love it, when not......!
Cosmo, its F8 and it won't work this time! I think the BIOS is in deep doo-doo and can't recognize the hard drive. My PC mentor will try to help tomorrow, but since I built this machine, if he can't help, I'm sunk.
What a birthday present, :( I was hoping to get more discus with birthday money, now it looks like some tech will have to be paid.

daverich
05-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Good luck with the pc. They are a pain when they go down. I dont know what I would do without A couple of hours surfing thru fish sites. It scares me to think about it. :p :p

Timbo
05-11-2006, 07:28 AM
debbie: your CMOS (bios) most likely needs to be re-flashed. go to your motherboard's manufacturers website and download the bios file for your mobo, read the instructions on the website for reflashing and save it to a floppy. pm me if you'd like further instructions on re-flashing your BIOS.

was, by any chance, your computer's clock acting funny about the same time? i ask because a bad bios can often be a result of your mobo's little battery (the power source that runs the clock and that saves the cmos settings when the computer is turned off) running outa juice, whcih will cause your computers clock to report incorrectly.

Kindredspirit
05-11-2006, 10:12 AM
aww Deb! ********...

I feel for you I do! I had my computer crash lately as well ~ almost $200- to fix and have a back up cd made ~

I hate car problems and computer problems more than anything! Just recently ~ I think yesterday ....I noticed in My Documents where everything is downloaded ~ I saw this file and I have no idea where it came from ~ strange....to say the least~

May post re it cuz as there are quite a few computer savy folks here! Speaking of which Deb...check out my one thread re my computer and there were a few that knew a lot ~ they may be able to assist you ~

I so forget who they were tho! I think that Alan was one and the others I can not remember! Sorry woman!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

AmberC
05-11-2006, 10:20 AM
That sucks! I hope you can get it fixed!

Amber

wolfbane
05-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Timbo, I will try the Flash the Bios thing today, may take you up on the offer of help. I built this PC 2 yrs ago, no clock problems, I think the battery should still be good.

Marie, yeah, I remember your PC problems, girl, its one thing or another!! What I do today may fry it or fix it, we'll see.

Amber. thanks, I'll do my best, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that these things are made to be messed with, pretty hardy electronics, so who knows!