PDA

View Full Version : How long before one knows if eggs are fertile?

stiver james
05-10-2006, 08:51 PM
My discus are now starting to lay eggs on a regular basis. I was just wondering how you tell if the male fertilized the eggs if you don't see the spawn? I have been having a problem with them eating the eggs so the last time I used a wire mesh. Nothing happened after about three or four days and the eggs turned white. I think this tells me that they were not fertile. She just laid again tonight and I was wondering when to put the wire mesh on. In case the male has not fertilized them yet. I assume the male is supposed to fertilize the eggs immediately is this so? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Bye the way this pair would not spawn all winter. I live in northern Mich and since the spring came they are spawning almost every week. If the male is not fertilizing the eggs what can be done but to change males? I know this male is fertile so I know this isn't the problem. Help and suggestions please. Thanks, Jim

Danse
05-10-2006, 09:06 PM
They should turn a darker colour within 24 hours.
Be sure your water is not to hard, eggs don't hatch in hard water.

tpl*co
05-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Turning darker is not always a good indication, my pair would always have a fit when I cleaned off eggs that I thought weren't good because they didn't turn dark. Well one time imagine my surprise when I saw wigglers! My pair is still young and they haven't figured out how to take care of free swimmers. If your eggs didn't turn white until 3-4 days your male may still be doing his job. be patient and see what happens. (mine is in the "take a break" period right now too)

Tina

edwardlong
05-10-2006, 10:37 PM
My discus are now starting to lay eggs on a regular basis. I was just wondering how you tell if the male fertilized the eggs if you don't see the spawn? I have been having a problem with them eating the eggs so the last time I used a wire mesh. Nothing happened after about three or four days and the eggs turned white. I think this tells me that they were not fertile. She just laid again tonight and I was wondering when to put the wire mesh on. In case the male has not fertilized them yet. I assume the male is supposed to fertilize the eggs immediately is this so? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Bye the way this pair would not spawn all winter. I live in northern Mich and since the spring came they are spawning almost every week. If the male is not fertilizing the eggs what can be done but to change males? I know this male is fertile so I know this isn't the problem. Help and suggestions please. Thanks, Jim

eggs usually hatch at 50 hours at temp of 30C and later when the water is colder. But it shouldn't be more than 72 hours

AADiscus
05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
If you know for a fact this is a male check your water parameters. The male will fertilize right behind the female when she is laying eggs. I would put the wire mesh on there after you know they are done spawning. If your water parameters test out alright you might try using meth blue in there and see if that will help with anything but I think your water is to hard. I wouldn't try a new male unless you have one you want to spawn with this female. Check your parameters and see if you need to adjust and keep letting them spawn. How old is this male and what strain?

ShinShin
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Eggs that turn from translucent to opaque within the first 24hrs. are generally infertile. If they turn opaque after 24hrs. then that is normally due to water conditions or parasitic/predatory attack.

Mat

stiver james
05-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Again they laid eggs and are gaurding them like normal parents. And again the eggs have all turned white. I have yet to see the male fertilze the eggs. People say I should check for hardness. What should they read in ppm as all I have to test for hardness is strips? Doesn't ro water soften the water? I run my water through an ro system and I always assumed it softened the water. I add back either ro right and some of my cold tap water. I have a reading on my tds meter of around 140. Is this to much? Should I bring it down to around 70-80 microsemens? I guess what I am trying to get across here is if my water is to hard and I know it is from my well here in mich. How do I get it softer without a water softener? More help please. Thanks, Jim

tpl*co
05-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Does the male make any fertilizing runs at all?

Tina