PDA

View Full Version : Please help something in my tank?

sublevel007
05-11-2006, 03:04 PM
I've created new life in my tank and I don't think it's good.

Ok, here is the situation. I have about 9 discus in a 55 gallon tank. I do my water changes as follows:

Mon, Wed, Friday 30%
Sun, Tues, Thurs, Sat 50%
Gravel is vacuumed every time as well.

I just noticed on the sides of the tank tiny, almost microscoptic worm looking things. They look like they are white. I can tell they are alive because when two of them move towards each other they turn around and go the other way. What are these things? I could see something like this happening if the tank was dirty but this things is spotless. All the fish are very healthy, no problems with any of them. Please let me kow if anyone has came across this before. Also one time when I was going through the gravel I sucked up a red worm looking thing. I thought it was the fish waste and it was only moving because of the current in the water. So I let the bucket sit for about 10 min and it was still moving. It king of looked like a blood worm almost 1.5-2 inches long. Blood worms can't come back to life after being frozen can they?

yeomans
05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Blood worms cannot come back to life after being frozen.Also I have 11 discus in a 55 gallon at the moment and if i had gravel in the tank, i coudn't keep up with the ammount of watse my fish produce.

mattphish
05-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Had them before from overfeeding the fish and letting food sit around on the bottom.

Carol_Roberts
05-11-2006, 04:22 PM
It's planaria . . . a sign of overfeeding and very common with a gravel substrate. Wipe down the sides and feed less. You may not get rid of the planaria until you get rid of the gravel.

azzndude2005
05-12-2006, 12:53 AM
You can get those even if you don't have gravel.

Tony_S
05-12-2006, 06:24 AM
You can get those even if you don't have gravel.

Yes you can, but the problem occurs more frequently with substrate, and is far easier to correct in a BB tank.
A dirty filter can be a major factor also.

Tony

Carol_Roberts
05-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Yes, and planaria love the smooth surfaces inside hang on the back filters and canister filters . . .