PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Hype

Alan
05-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I can't believe I haven't read the book and there's a movie already. I have a hardbound copy given as a gift sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust like all the other novels I have.

Anyway, I received this in my e-mail and it will provide a good idea of what the "hype" is all about. As the publishers correctly classify the book, it is fiction. I guess the book is aimed at attacking the gullible.

The Da Vinci Code™ Top Ten Errors 5/10/2006
By Robert Knight

(Editor's note: For the full version of the paper "The Top Ten Da Vinci Code Distortions," click here (javascript:ol('http://www.cwfa.org/articles/10698/CWA/misc/index.htm');).) Serious Christians will see through the many lies and historical fictions that Dan Brown plants throughout the best-selling book The Da Vinci Code, but millions will believe that this profoundly dishonest work contains at least some "truth" about Jesus and the church. The film version is opening in theaters on May 19. Christians should avoid the movie and thus avoid rewarding Hollywood for blaspheming their Lord, but they also should be equipped with answers to the most dangerous misconceptions. Dan Brown is peddling one of the oldest known and easily discredited heresies - Gnosticism - and his claims are refuted by the rich history of Christian writing, beginning with the Gospels themselves. Several books expose the many factual errors and ludicrous assertions in The Da Vinci Code, and the brief list of problems with Brown's book here is the tip of the iceberg.

1) CLAIM: Jesus was merely a man, not God. Brown says that the "pagan" Roman emperor Constantine, for the purpose of consolidating his power, created the "myth" that Jesus was resurrected after being crucified. (231-234).
ANSWER: Constantine, who converted to Christianity and ended Rome's persecution of Christians, convened the Council of Nicea in 325, but only to sort out differences among church leaders, all of whom believed Jesus was divine. Early church historians referred routinely to Christ's divinity, including Ignatius (105 A.D.) and Clement (150 A.D.).

2) CLAIM: The Council of Nicea defined Jesus as God in "a close vote at that." Constantine chose all the books for inclusion in the Bible as we know it (231). ANSWER: The Council of Nicea, which took no votes, was convened by Constantine with Christian leaders across the empire mainly to dispense with the theories of Arius (father of Arianism), who claimed that Jesus, while divine, was a created being. Only two of 318 clerics at the Council did not sign the Nicene Creed. The early church had already adopted the Four Gospels and most of the rest of the New Testament as authoritative long before the Council of Nicea.

3) CLAIM: The four New Testament Gospels (the Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) comprise a false account. Numerous ancient writings tell a more truthful story.
ANSWER: Brown bases his view on 52 books collectively called the Gnostic Gospels, discovered in 1945 in Nag Hammadi, Egypt. All were written more than a century after the Biblical Gospels were written. None of these books has any tie to eyewitnesses in Christ's time, unlike the Gospels themselves.

4) CLAIM: The Da Vinci Code is based on fact. Here's the actual beginning of the book: "FACT: The Priory of Scion - a European secret society founded in 1099 -is a real organization. In 1975 Paris's Bibliotheque Nationale discovered parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous Members of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Leonardo Da Vinci."
ANSWER: Pierre Plantard, a French anti-Semite fraud, created the "Priory of Sion" in 1956, not 1099, and the documents were found to be counterfeits. There is no evidence that the famous men he cites were involved in any secret society.

5) CLAIM: Jesus did not die on the cross but married Mary Magdalene and fathered children with her. Brown claims the church was led by Mary Magdalene, whose role was covered up by a ruthless Catholic Church.
ANSWER: Jesus' crucifixion and reappearance after the resurrection are perhaps the best-documented theological events in history, with literally hundreds of eyewitnesses. The Roman pagan historian Flavius Josephus recorded the event this way: He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. The nonsense about Jesus marrying Mary Magdalene and having children with her came from the Plantard forgeries and the Gnostic gospels of Phillip and "Mary Magdala."

6) CLAIM: Mary Magdalene is pictured in The Last Supper to the left of Jesus. ANSWER: If that figure is Mary Magdalene, then Leonardo inexplicably left out the apostle John. The youngest disciple, John was often portrayed in a feminine manner to convey youth, as is seen in the stained glass of European cathedrals. No credible art historian has asserted that the John figure in The Last Supper is Mary Magdalene, nor is there is there any mention in Leonardo's journals.

7) CLAIM: The Catholic organization Opus Dei (The Work of God) has an inner network of zealous members who would do anything to keep people from discovering that Christianity's central claims are false. The chief murderer in The Da Vinci Code is a self-flagellating Opus Dei "monk."
ANSWER: Opus Dei, which Brown correctly notes was founded in 1928, has no monks, although it does have "numeraries" of both sexes who pledge celibacy and live in single-sex centers. Although Brown says on Page 428 that Opus Dei and the Vatican were "completely innocent" of the immediate crimes in the book, the overall historical impression remains of a dangerously secretive cult-like group. Opus Dei was created to energize lay Catholics into taking their faith more seriously, not to advance a false gospel.

8) CLAIM: The "sacred feminine" was at the heart of the early church, but was ruthlessly suppressed. "It was man, not God, who created the concept of 'original sin,' whereby Eve tasted of the apple and caused the downfall of the human race. Woman, once the sacred giver of life, was now the enemy" (238).
ANSWER: Once again (and throughout the book), Brown calls Scripture a colossal lie. Far from oppressing women, the church has proved to be a liberating force. Women have achieved unprecedented status in nations where Christianity has had an impact. Jesus honored women among His followers. Mary Magdalene was the first to discover the empty tomb, see the resurrected Christ, and to tell the other believers.

9) Claim: The Bible is an ever-changing living document. The Bible "has evolved through countless translations, additions, and revisions. History has never had a definitive version of the book," Brown writes (231).
ANSWER: No other book in antiquity has as many manuscripts that are consistently accurate, even after 2,000 years. The New Testament, of which 5,000 early copies exist, also has the shortest gap between time of authorship (55-95 A.D.) and the earliest copies (around 200 A.D.). Other ancient books have gaps of 1,000 years or more.

10) CLAIM: Even Walt Disney was a devotee of the Mary Magdalene cult. "'Once you open your eyes to [Mary Magdalene as] the Holy Grail,' [fictional character Robert] Langdon said, 'you see her everywhere.' "Langdon held up his Mickey Mouse watch and told her that Walt Disney had made it his quiet life's work to pass on the Grail story to future generations" (261).
ANSWER: Mark Pinsky, author of The Gospel According to Disney, told the Culture & Family Institute: "I'd give it no credence whatever." The mention of Disney as a devotee of the Grail in The Da Vinci Code "is the first that I'd read about it."

Conclusion The Da Vinci Code is a clever and dangerous book suffused with lies, distortions, Satanic imagery and historical inaccuracies, all designed to cast doubt in readers' minds about the deity of Jesus Christ. Brown is trying to resurrect the old sex-based pagan fertility cults that Judaism and Christianity replaced while advancing civilization. By claiming that man, not God, inspired the Bible, Brown is appealing to the same pride that Satan did when he promised Eve in the Book of Genesis that "ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." The good news is that the truth will overcome lies. Jesus promised: "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32 NKJV).

Robert Knight is director of the Culture & Family Institute, an affiliate of Concerned Women for America.
I think I should finish writing my novel. I may make good money too. :D

cobaltblue
05-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Thats good info Alan, thanks. I for one will not waste my money and support this film.

Ryan
05-13-2006, 12:18 AM
I really enjoyed the book. I'm disappointed that it's being hyped as a "Tom Hanks" movie. I have a feeling this is another example of Hollywood taking a book, completely changing the overall feel of it, putting a huge actor at the forefront, and pushing it to sell. One of the many reasons I've quit watching movies :) They always disappoint me after reading the books.

Ryan

Cosmo
05-13-2006, 01:33 PM
My wife read the book when it first came out in hard cover.. the way she described the story didn't intrigue me enough, but once they announced the movie I figured I'd read it before I saw the movie.. Started Tuesday morning and finished Friday morning. A great read

One huge flaw in the story line though.. not till towards the end :D :D Should I say what it is :confused: :p :D

Didn't read the hype part above.. I'll see the movie when it comes out on DVD and then compare the movie to the book. Too many great books are totally destroyed in the movie version.. hopefully this won't be one of them

Jim

Tony_S
05-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Too many great books are totally destroyed in the movie version.. hopefully this won't be one of them

Im sure this one wont be any different. :mad:

But Im goin anyways!!!!!:D

Tony

chompy
05-13-2006, 04:16 PM
This book was made to be a movie:D . Hollywood isn't known for telling the truth, so it's not a surprise that this follows suit. I can't wait to see this movie. just remember it could be worse, it could be passion of the christ 2... I wouldn't put it past Hollywood or Mel Gibson to bring back Jesus

diskboy
05-13-2006, 05:22 PM
i cant wait to see it i am reading the book now......love it so far

Alan
05-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree with Ryan Smith and I believe that's the main reason why the dollar take of movies are on the decline. 9 out of 10, the movie version of a book usually sucks. Hollywood is running out of ideas. Hollywood politics is smothering ideas. When they do get a great idea, producers change the script thinking they know better what sells.:vomit:

The best book to movie I've read and seen is "Lord of the Rings" (the trilogy movie).

The "Dune" movie shown on TV or cable is supposed to be good too but I haven't seen the full length of it (although I have them on DVD). The movie version sucked.

"Bourne Identity" is so-so but nothing compared to the book.

My kids tell me the Harry Potter books are better than the movies.

With all the water changes, I really haven't found the time to read or watch movies (even on DVD). Solution: get rid of the fish :D (and I just might...)

Cosmo
05-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Alan.. the solution is much too dramatic :D

The version of Dune that runs somewhere over 6 hours is actually pretty good, but I think it took 2 or 3 days to get through the entire set.. worth it though :)

Jim

Spices
05-14-2006, 12:36 AM
I love Tom Hanks and the director Howard ("Little Richie Cunningham"), but I can wait for the DVD distribution (maybe, if I feel in the mood to hear fiction or lies about the Lord). But then again...It would be worth to wait for another flick with Tom Hanks starring. :)

Cosmo
05-14-2006, 09:23 AM
With the exceptions of the following genre, we ALWAYS wait for the DVD :D

Star Wars
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

Combination of lazy, convenience, enjoyment I guess

Jim

Ryan
05-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I thought the Lord of the Rings movies were brilliant. They are my favorite movies that have been produced in a long time. I wish Peter Jackson would also direct "The Hobbit." He did the trilogy, so why not that one too?

I wish someone would make a movie of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, but that's a book that you'd have to do really well as a movie or it has the potential to be crap. lol.

Ryan

Upper Canada
05-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Yes Ryan, Lord of the Rings is very close to the books, and they are among my most favourite movies. as are Apollo 13, Private Ryan and Red October.

I am half way through the Hobbit, but it seems the characters and story line would cater to the Harry Potter age group, but I'll see.

The D Code and Angels and Demonds are good reading, I find they are similar to John Grishom's books, but how much one wants to believe or how far you want to take it is up to the individual.

Bob

Bainbridge Mike
05-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I think the book tells a great story and I appreciate it as such. I am also looking forward to the movie. I don't really care about the historical "accuracy" of it. I would hope people could just enjoy it for what it is.

Mike

brewmaster15
05-14-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm really confused here, you mean none of you wear a Cilice while cleaning your tanks?:confused: :confused: for shame!

sorry couldn't resist!:D :D :D :D

-al

RandalB
05-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Ryan,
There are legal problems with the rights to the Hobbit. Peter Jackson already said if it gets cleared up, he's there...

http://www.thehobbitfilm.com/

BTW, I enjoyed LTR myself...

RandalB

PS: Al, I thought you only wore boxers when changing water... Too Much Information 'eh?

RyanH
05-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I took what I read in the book with a grain of salt. It was a fictional story... nothing more. The premise of the book was obviously fiction with a few legends and bits of truth thrown in to make it more dramatic and realistic.

I'm a person of faith, and I still feel that people need to lighten up and not take things so seriously.

I've read all of Dan Brown's books and honestly, Angels & Demons was a vastly superior read to The Da Vinci Code. There was no comparison. It was a much better book.

His other two books, Digital Fortress & Deception point were pretty mediocre. Deception Point had an interesting premise that was based on a real event that occurred during the Clinton years. Digital Fortress was pretty crappy and should just be left on the shelf.

Cosmo
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Yep.. the wife said Angels & Demons was a better book, so guess I'll have to read that one too :o now DALE Brown... THERE's an author... ;) Haven't seen anything from him lately though :( Nothing like a little high tech military science fiction to get the old adrenaline pumping :D

Jim