PDA

View Full Version : How do I slow down the water flow from a can filter?

meltinonesmouth
05-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Advices are welcome RE: Can filter(2217)slow water flow down w/Out affecting the motor in a negative way.Its driving my kids nuts.It seems like they would stay in one corner and try to surf through the flow of the fresh filtered water one by one to give it a try.there is some kind of linking system that seems to have a shut of valve ,will turning it do the work?Thanks for reading.

brewmaster15
05-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Can you attach a spray bar...either premade or make one yourself?.. It will diffuse the water by spreading in along the tank surface....

remember if you slow the out put, You will decrease its ability to filter the tank....may be better to diffuse the output but not affect filtration.

hth,
al

meltinonesmouth
05-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Can you attach a spray bar...either premade or make one yourself?.. It will diffuse the water by spreading in along the tank surface....

remember if you slow the out put, You will decrease its ability to filter the tank....may be better to diffuse the output but not affect filtration.

hth,
al

There is one .but it still seems to be flowin a lot.i guess my tank size is too small for it.
Those kids just have to be use to it for the meantime i guess?

wild_heckel
05-14-2006, 03:06 AM
I have 2217 on my 3'x18"x18" tank. Spray bar will reduce the flow, you can even aim the flow to the glass if you wish to reduce the current almost to nothing. Or if have the quick release valve you adjust the flow by shutting the valve on the outflow, the one with a smaller pipe. This will not damage the motor as explained on the manual.

Tony_S
05-14-2006, 05:40 AM
If you dont want to slow the GPH, Just drill some more holes along the spraybar. Place em about 90 degrees along the circumference of the tube, that way you can have one row shooting water down the back wall of the tank, and another row shooting across the surface.

Tony

meltinonesmouth
05-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the that! For now I will turn the lever on the output to slow things down a bit. I will keep the direction still horizontaly spraying towards the top front of the tank.Because I like seeing them go against the flow facing the front of the tank. But i will also try to drill more holes or maybe add a wider diameter of pipe around the end of the stock spraybar if necessary as a buffer.