PDA

View Full Version : Wow.. that would be crazy!

AmberC
05-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Would discus adopt fry from another species of fish.. like say Rams? Because... my new discus.. there are gold ram fry in the tank with them and they see these fry... I am watching closely and the fry swim right by them and they look at them and start to go for them, then stop (the discus) and a little while ago it looked as tho one of the ram fry was eating off one of the discus!

There are only about 6 fry from what I can see. I had gold rams in this tank for QT and they must have spawned right before I removed them from to another tank so the discus could go in QT here. I suctioned up a lot of them because I did not think they would make it since the discus were going in and I had nothing over my filter intake.

What do you think?
Amber

Ryan
05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I guess it depends on the fish. My kribensis did not eat my angel fry -- they moved them :) It didn't make the pair of angels too happy, but the kribs seemed to have fun. lol. However... when the kribs spawned, I tried mixing their fry with my angel fry, and out of all those hundreds of babies, the angels targeted the krib fry and ate them.

You can use discus as foster parents with other discus fry, but I don't know about fry from another species.

Ryan