PDA

View Full Version : Garlic

millincolin
05-14-2006, 08:58 PM
I was talking to a few people in my town and they were saying that feeding garlic is a good way to rid internal paracites. I was wondering if ther was any truth to this?

BIGFOOT
05-14-2006, 09:26 PM
I dont know about getting rid of them. Butt I have heard that it guards them from new infections. I feed them garlic. Its in my home made beefheart.

phalough
05-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Ive also heard that it's very benificial for the discus to have garlic and somewhere I recall reading that Jack Wattley has done studies where this has eliminated many parasites completely. But to be safe weather it's a true documented fact or not I ust Garlic Guard Seachem from time to time. I also use it to intice picky eaters. Can be helpful to in the food containing certain meds also.

ShinShin
05-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes, garlic is a natural antibacterial and antiparasitic. It's effectiveness has been emphirically proven.

http://www.garlic.mistral.co.uk/Allicin.htm

http://www.allicin.com/

As you can see by the readings, garlic has to be used in a very specific manner to be effective. Wattley now mixes fresh crushed garlic directly to his beefheart as he feeds it. At least that's how he explained it at last year's ACA convention.

sleonard
05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
I understand that to be effective for it's antibacterial or antiparasetic properties it must be fresh but what about it's effect as an appetite stimulant? There are a number of garlic products making that claim and my personal experience suggest that the garlic oil I have soaked with food might work as such. Are there any studies on its effects on appetite?

steve.ryall
05-16-2006, 09:37 AM
I have to laugh at the garlic thing. :D

I added some to my second tank which is in my living room when my plecos had what I thought was worms. I crushed some fresh garlic added it to some food and dropped it in for them.

BEWARE !!!

After an hour or two, (my girlfriend and I had gone out) we came back to the stench of garlic throughout the house :D
Well this happened :argue:
:D
We had to open all the windows in the house and let the wind blow through until the stink had gone. I was made to suck out the left over garlic in the tank and do a water change :o

Needless to say, I haven't done the garlic trick since....not allowed to :angry:

Must say on a serious note, that I do add garlic powder to my BH mix, but most are of the opinion that in this form it does not have the desiered effect, but its too late now its in, and the fish love my BHmix anyway.

Steve

Dissident
07-15-2006, 03:40 PM
I have started adding fresh galic to my BH.

What I do is chop it up into very fine pieces in the food processor then add the BH and chop it up with it some more.

It will usually sit for a few hours so the BH can soak up some of the garlic oils.

Is that typically how it is done? Or do ppl feed chuncks of garlic to their fish?

crazie.eddie
07-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I have to laugh at the garlic thing. :D

I added some to my second tank which is in my living room when my plecos had what I thought was worms. I crushed some fresh garlic added it to some food and dropped it in for them.

BEWARE !!!

After an hour or two, (my girlfriend and I had gone out) we came back to the stench of garlic throughout the house :D
Well this happened :argue:
:D
We had to open all the windows in the house and let the wind blow through until the stink had gone. I was made to suck out the left over garlic in the tank and do a water change :o

Needless to say, I haven't done the garlic trick since....not allowed to :angry:

Must say on a serious note, that I do add garlic powder to my BH mix, but most are of the opinion that in this form it does not have the desiered effect, but its too late now its in, and the fish love my BHmix anyway.

Steve

That's becuase you're really supposed to use garlic extract. It's best to squeeze the garlic to get the juices and soak your food in it.

LizStreithorst
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I can only tell you of my emphirical evidence. Back when I lived in Mississippi I made my own beef heart. I always added garlic except for twice when I ran out and I figured that it didn't matter that much. Except for the time that the fish contracted cryptobia (what anitparisitic can deal with Crypotbia?)I had 0 problems with parasites. No flukes, no hex, no nothin'.

The two times I didn't put the garlic in, the fish weren't tht crazy about the food. I think it's good for them and they know it. But this is just from my own experience.

I'd like to feed garlic again. Beef heart is not available here. We've looked. We need to find a shaughterhouse, I guess. Beef heart is a PITA to make, but you can put garlic in it and it makes the fish do better.

Dissident
07-15-2006, 08:34 PM
The two times I didn't put the garlic in, the fish weren't tht crazy about the food. I think it's good for them and they know it. But this is just from my own experience.

I noticed that. They really didn't care for it. My Mbuna loved it though, but they will eat anything.

I might try another small batch with the the garlic oils but i'm guessing ill end up with the same result (an early morning WC).