PDA

View Full Version : Will pipereazine 250mg/10 gal harm bio filter

phalough
05-15-2006, 12:51 AM
I am going to admininster this to my discus tank as a preventative measure. I have had an issue with one fish and want to treat them all to rid thier bodies of any possible worms that may be in them. I know only a mass amount will cause damage but I just want to be safe and add piperazine to the water. I have been told the amount is 250mg per 10 gallons of water. I just want to make sure it's ok for the bio-filter and will not cause any harm to it for that would be a dissaster. Please anyone who know's for sure about this please let me know. I have found this product in the form of a dog dewormer for a few bucks and it's piperazine citrate. I would also like to know if it will change PH or basically anything I should know about this substance. Thank you everyone.

Suzanne
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm quite interested in this as well - is it safe for shrimp, snails and plants
or only in bb or qt?

ShinShin
05-16-2006, 08:22 PM
It will not harm the biofilter. I used a liquid form of this made for dogs. The tank slimed up pretty good. This never happened with the powdered form.

Mat

chompy
05-16-2006, 09:28 PM
three questions:D

-is pipereazine for round worm and prazi for tape worm?
-where do you find pipereazine
-how do you tell if it is tape or round worm

phalough
05-17-2006, 01:43 AM
Piperazine is for Nematodes or round worms. Praziquantel is for tapeworms. I have found piperazine as the main active ingredient in a dog and cat dewormer at my local pet store for five dollars. It is piperazine citrate. The dosage is 250mg for 10 gallons. Treat for three days and do a water change.

ShinShin
05-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Nematodes cause thinning of the discus to levels that can cause death.

Discus with tapeworms feed well, look healthy (providing there are no other diseases present), but do not grow well. When a discus has a really bad case of tapeworms, it can look bloated.

Mat

dandestroy
05-23-2006, 10:06 AM
If we are talking about pure piperazine, i would pay real attention to what your doing (I don'T know if its possible to get it in powder that would be a lot better)

The fume produced by piperazine are highly toxic (so if you work with liquid you should be working in a fume hot or very very well ventilated area...and with powder wear a mask)

In lab we use it to convert methylated guanine in the DNA sequence in to double stand break...so this is kinda bad.

piperazine disolve uric acid and is therefore prety efficient against parasite (all kind) specially with helminth

The real issue is as usual...dosing for fish

take care

Suzanne
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I've looked everywhere for a product with Piperazine and can't fine it.
I found Sergeants Worm Away but they've replaced the piperzine with
mebendazole - and I haven't been able to find Hagen's Worm Away either!
I'm in Toronto - can you give me brand names to look for & where to order them online?

Thanks

dandestroy
05-25-2006, 01:17 PM
check for Worm Away (this is the actual name of the produt) if i recall it say piperazine on the side..(petstore canin dewormer...you will find one with piperazine for sure)