PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer

zzbruinzz
05-16-2006, 02:42 PM
is/have anyone using/used a UV sterilizer on their discus tanks? i went to a local fish store that had some very nice LSS and they use it on their tank...thanks!! i'd get one if it was worth the money...

marilyn1998
05-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I dont have one, but I researched them. They dont fit on all tanks due to the hoods and filters.
I had an Eclipse hood, where there was no opening in it at all and the 2 filters it had were all in one. The light was part of it too. Nowhere to put the sterilizer.
I was told, (hrrmmm by a LFS), that they are best done INLINE, between the uptake of the filter and where it empties into the tank. With my new tank I have 2 HOBS. The water goes back into the tank direct on both.
Also, I read it is only as good as the water and the length of the exposure that it comes in contactg with. Since bacteria and parasites and all can live in the substrate, as well as the decorations, plants and glass, not all is being directed through the UV.
There are alot of folks tho with opinions of them I am sure!!! Cant wait to read this thread!

Cosmo
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
... to UV, or not to UV... that is the question?

Very controversial topic, on which there is a wide range of answers yet no definative answer whatsoever... hmmm

I use them, and have them plumbed inline off my cannisters. Do they work?... don't know :p I was told years ago by the very knowledgeable owner of an LFS.. seriously... that they seemed to help. I have fewer disease problems nowadays than I used to, but don't honestly know if that's because of the UV (probably not) or the fact that my maintenance regimen is far superior (probably) to what it used to be :confused:

If used as the sole protector of the health of your fish, probably a waste of money. If used as a component of your overall disease protection routine... certainly can't hurt :p

Dwell time, the matching of the pump output to the UV unit, and the size (wattage) of the unit in relationship to your tank I believe are key considerations. Yes they are only effective in treating the water that passes through them, so in a tank with substrate the effectiveness is greatly reduced.

There are numerous threads on this topic.. do a search and you'll be reading for hours :p :D

Good luck :)

Jim

pcsb23
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Main use in my view is to keep the water borne parasites and pathogens in check. They won't, even can't, kill pathogens that exist in substarte, pipes etc.. But used in conjunction with a good management routine and they do help. I mainly use them on planted tanks. Key is to remember to change the bulbs every 4 to 6 months and to clean them when changing the bulbs.

I used to run reef tanks, UV definitely helped there as you are very restricted to the meds you can use. End of the day they are not a cure all, but they give you a second line of defense.