PDA

View Full Version : Age water question

azzndude2005
05-17-2006, 09:30 PM
While take water out of my storage for the water change today, I notice there were black bugs in there. I use a 55 gallon rubbermaid, with a lid. They look like some kind of beatles, but i'm not sure. Is it safe to use this water for my tank? Luckly I have five other water storage rubbermaid that doesn't contain the bug.

RyanH
05-17-2006, 10:39 PM
They are probably harmless but I'd dump the water and sterilize the barrel with bleach just to be safe. :(

AADiscus
05-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Where are you storing you barrels? Are they outside?

azzndude2005
05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
It's indoor. The container was seal with a lid.

AADiscus
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
mmmm. I'm not forsure on this. Someone else might be better than me. :o I wouldn't use the water though. It's good you have more tubs with aged water to use! Good thinking.

RyanH
05-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Are you using city or well water?

Alight
05-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Were the beetles in the water or just in the can somewhere? How long were they in there and how many?

If just a few bugs, short time--not molding or anything, or still alive, just pull them out. I doubt very much that a 2 or 3 beetles in 55 gallons could contaminate the water enough with anything that could be detrimental to Discus or any other fish.

If there are several hundred, then it's another story.

CliffsDiscus
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Age water in SF Area??? Check with some of the local Discus hobbyist.

Cliff

azzndude2005
05-19-2006, 10:38 PM
They were about 50 or so alive at the bottom of the container. They were about 2-3 mm. Today I check the container again, and nothing. I know they were there because I mix the water like a whirl pool and bucket the water out to get a closer look. I know San Francisco should have one of the best water quality but I don't dare to drink from the tap anymore. 85% of the water is from Hetch Hetchy watershed, and 15% from Alameda and Peninsula watersheds. I don't know if they are beetles, just guessing. They're really small. I notice them because they're black and my buckles are white.

Alight
05-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Alive in the bottom of the container? In that case, I wouldn't use the water and I would very carefully clean the container. These probably were some kind of water insect larvae, like mosquito larvae, or some such. I can't believe that anything alive could get through any water treatment facility.

They probably will not return, but keep watching.

Just had another idea. Could they be snails? Could you have inadvertently have introduced some snail eggs to the container during a water change? Just an idea.

azzndude2005
05-21-2006, 03:22 PM
No, they're not snails or larva. I know it was an insect because I see legs on them. Next time I see them I will take a picture of it. I'm still debating on buying the cannon S3 IS or the 350D.