PDA

View Full Version : Why are they acting differnt?

sublevel007
05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Recently I bought a new ss and red phoenix. That put my dicus count up to eleven. In my front show tank (55 gal) that would be too many. So I split them up in between two tanks. I put all the younger smaller ones in my back room (5 in the tank), And all of the older bigger ones in the front tank. Now all the ones in the back tank are very scared all of the time. They stay very close to one and other and when someone comes into the room the get all frantic and fly around the tank. What can I do? I had all the sides covered so they wouldn't freeak out but they still did. Let me know!

White Worm
05-18-2006, 02:26 AM
New environment, new surroundings, new roommates....all of these at once will cause stress. Pecking orders now have to be reestablished. I hope you also did QT before mixing any new additions. The new ones could have brought a bug with them. Make sure water conditions are also similar from tank to tank. They also feel safer in large groups. Give them time and they will settle.

April
05-18-2006, 02:38 AM
could be a smaller group isnt as secure..
unless your filter for the second tank isnt completely cycled..and they arent happy with the water quality.
are the ones in the main tank still happy?

sublevel007
05-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes the ones in the front tank are still very happy and yes I did a qt for two weeks. The water parameter are exatcly the same for both tanks to. All the fish in the bank tank whic are scared have been together for about 6-7 months now. the new ones are in the front tank living it up. Just strange

lhforbes12
05-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I agree with April, this sounds like a water parameter problem to me. Are you sure your Nitrogen levels are low (amnonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

Larry

sublevel007
05-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Everything checks out perfectly in both tanks? They are exactly the same