PDA

View Full Version : kH question.

Gogool
05-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum. This is really a great forum, a bible of useful information. Congratulations to the community.

Although there is lots of information about the subject, I still have some doubts about water chemistry.
I use a mix of RO with tap water, that gives me a gH of 4, a kH of 2 and a pH of 6.8. But because I like water well aerated, when I do it (ageing it over night and in the tank), it brings my pH up to 8.2(CO2 goes out), and maintains it. (CO2 goes out)
I don’t like such a high pH in my discus tank, so my question is:
- Is it possible to raise ONLY my kH, without touching the pH?? How?
My goal is to keep the 6.8 pH and 5 gH with strong aeration.

PS1 – I know about muriatic acid, but it stresses… me ;) and peat, that is quite expensive in my country, so I want to avoid them.
PS2 – Sorry my English!

I thank you in advance any information,
Gul

nacra99
05-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi!
Welcome to the community!

I don't know of anyway to increase kH without altering pH without using buffers or CO2. Is your tank for domestic discus? If so you water seems fine. If you do frequent waterchanges, you shouldn't have to worry about the low kH.

Marc

Gogool
05-19-2006, 11:06 AM
If you do frequent waterchanges, you shouldn't have to worry about the low kH.

Marc
Hi Marc,

Yes, my tank is for domestic discus.
I am not worry about the low kH. I am worry about the hight pH (8.2).
I thought, if I raise the kH when the water has a low pH(6.8), it would mantain it even when I aereate.
It seems not possible...

Thank you,
Gul

nacra99
05-19-2006, 03:38 PM
nope.. CO2 concentration affects the pH but not KH, so even though you areate to remove the CO2, KH should remain almost the same.

Actually, your pH is ok for domestics. The key is to keep it stable.

Marc