PDA

View Full Version : once you get them home?

surfzone
05-19-2006, 09:16 PM
This is more of an aclamation question. I've been doing saltwater for ages now and i have been thinking of doing discus for ages as well. I've finaly got a tank set up for them and i'v scoped out some really good German bread ones at a LFS (same place that stocks quality saltwater also stocks quality freshwater as well). My question is when you get them home do you float the bag in the tank for a while or do you drip them in a bucket? In saltwater most people take some air line and drip water from their tank into a bucket with the new fish or shrimp or what ever. Would this be a better way of aclamation for discus?

Cosmo
05-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Welcome to Simply :)

An age old question, with a lot of varying views and opinions :p

First off, don't float the bag. God only knows what is on the outside of the plastic, and, the last thing you want is for any of the LFS water to get into your tank.

If these are the first Discus in the tank, make sure the filters are all cycled. Fishless cycle using pure ammonia is preferred and takes about 6 weeks. Using an uncycled tank you're just begging for problems.

If these aren't the first Discus... make sure you quarantine them in a BB QT tank first.. otherwise, just begging for problems again

These are all things you probably already know from your saltwater days.

This is one of the latest threads on the subject... do a search and you'll find many many more..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=50565

Keep us posted :)

Jim

surfzone
05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the reply Cosmo. They will be the first discus in the tank. I'm looking at 4 subadult red turqu. about 4 or 5 inches the store owner says they are about 8 or 9 months old. As from my saltwater days I know all too well not to float the bag or let any of the LFS water in my tank. I do the drip method with my salt water fish and my corals get an iodine dip before going in the reef. I've been testing the water almost daily making sure everything is stable. The only other freshwater I have had where things like tetras and other cichlids who can take a bit of bacteria and what not found on the plastic. I cycled the tank with a bit of floss that a friend of mine, who also keeps discus, gave to me to cycle the tank. If all looks well tomorrow morning I will be getting 4 pritty discus.

BIGFOOT
05-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Good Luck to ya

And Welcome to Simply Discus!!!!!!!

surfzone
05-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Well I got my discus. I was able to get a pic of one of them and on the top right you can see the bottom of a 2nd one. They are very active and rush to hide when I first come into the room, but come right out to beg for food after a second or two. Anyway hope y'all enjoy the pic.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/Surfzone/fish001.jpg

nacra99
05-22-2006, 10:22 AM
That's a fine lookin discus.
I'm sure you'll have a great time with them!

Marc

Kindredspirit
05-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Very nice! You must be thrilled ~ Welcome to Simply as well!
We love pictures so keep us posted! I would love to see some of your saltwater tank too ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif