PDA

View Full Version : Discus eye colors

supaflyz
05-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Hey do your discus change their eye colors when you turn your lights on and off for along period of time. I've notice when I turn the light on or turn the window blinds then their eyes are red. Today I left the light off, and went to Home Depot. By the time I got home to feed them, all 10 of my discus eyes were white. Then when I turn the light on for awhile, their eyes turn red again. Is this a problem, or is this happens when they sleep?:D

Ryan
05-23-2006, 12:09 AM
They are sleeping. Most discus do this.

Ryan

White Worm
05-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Some of their body colors will also fade during times of *sleep*. Marie (kindredspirit) thought she had ghost fish one evening (almost completely white).

supaflyz
05-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah I have noticed that to, my blue diamonds were almost white except for the fins. Then gradually they turn to a darker blue.

BIGFOOT
05-23-2006, 06:08 AM
My blue diamonds are a pale blue every morning and after the first feeding they turn back to their normal colors.

yeomans
05-25-2006, 12:34 PM
All of my pigeons lose there specks after periods of no light, The marlboros seem to lose a lot of the black pigments in thier body when they are sleeping.

supaflyz
05-25-2006, 02:28 PM
And I thought that my malboro was the only one with the black pigments. Hey your malboro only has red pigments on his forehead right. Mine is about 2.5-3.0 inches, and his forehead has black speckles. I also notice when i turn the window blind out with alot of sunlight, it loses the black pigments.

CoKen
05-29-2006, 11:34 PM
my case is almost opposite, my blue turqouise has dark colour before i turn on the light every monring, once the light is on, they tend to fade their colour and sometime darken again. but their eye are always red.

by the way, my discuses are only 3 months old, so, only minimal colour developed, when (how old) will they fully develop their colour?

rgds
Ken

supaflyz
05-30-2006, 01:34 AM
I really dont know, mine are approximately the same age. Some of mines already has the stripes, but not completely covering their whole body.