PDA

View Full Version : CANOPY!!!!

bennyblanco
05-23-2006, 05:13 PM
i live in new orleans louisiana,and im looking for a canopy for a 100 gallon tank 60+18 any info will be appreciated!!!

greyhoundfan
05-23-2006, 07:45 PM
i live in new orleans louisiana,and im looking for a canopy for a 100 gallon tank 60+18 any info will be appreciated!!!

That is the exact dimensions for my canopy. Check with your LFS too. They can probably order one for you. Mine was ordered from them for 150.00.

bennyblanco
05-23-2006, 09:02 PM
THANKS!!!!!!

Clay
05-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Or you could make one and stain it to match the stand.

your talking about a canopy being the wooden piece your set on the tank? Or a glass cover?

bennyblanco
05-23-2006, 11:14 PM
wood canopy
, my stand is black !!!!

greyhoundfan
05-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Dude.. I bet your stand and canopy will look exactly like mine. At least this will give you a good reference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/haydentank.jpg

I'm stocking this baby up tomm.!! After a long fishless cycle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/tank1.jpg

bennyblanco
05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
that looks realy cool !!!! i want my tank to look like that !!! how do you do your w/c's?

greyhoundfan
05-24-2006, 11:10 AM
that looks realy cool !!!! i want my tank to look like that !!! how do you do your w/c's?

The canopy came with locking latches so you can keep it in the open position. You'll have plenty of room to stick your body in there when you do water changes. The only thing you can't do is open the back half of your glass cover, the canopy is in the way of that. Plus the canopy adds 7" to the height of the tank, this makes it harder to clean the bottom of the tank. I'm short, so I had to go buy a tall step stool when I clean the tank out.

I have a 50ft hose, at one end connect it to my magdrive 9.5 pump and I can pump my aged water in there pretty fast. When I remove water I use the same hose and do a gravity syphon, this takes a little longer.

poconogal
05-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Hi. I have a question about the canopy. I've never actually seen one in person, but I like how it looks on a tank. If I had a full hood with light strip, would the canopy just go over that? For WCs, can the canopy just be lifted off (if its not too big) so that the added height wouldn't be a problem? (My current tank is 24" deep and I love how it looks, but it is a bit of a pain at times).
Thanks, Connie

Clay
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
The canopy came with locking latches so you can keep it in the open position. You'll have plenty of room to stick your body in there when you do water changes. The only thing you can't do is open the back half of your glass cover, the canopy is in the way of that. Plus the canopy adds 7" to the height of the tank, this makes it harder to clean the bottom of the tank. I'm short, so I had to go buy a tall step stool when I clean the tank out.

I have a 50ft hose, at one end connect it to my magdrive 9.5 pump and I can pump my aged water in there pretty fast. When I remove water I use the same hose and do a gravity syphon, this takes a little longer.

I hope the hose you use is fish friendly because some hoses when they have water pumping through them leak chemicals that are used to keep it from drying out and getting hard.

(sorry for bveing off topic)

And you could build a canopy just like that and paint it black if you wanted instead of spending a chunk of change for it.

greyhoundfan
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
thanks for the warning Clay.. I appreciate all constructive criticism. My hose is from Python. I don't use the faucet adopters any more since I get the water from storag container.

I am woodworked challenged. I'd rather spend the money than lose a finger. :)

Regarding hood lights and canopies..

If your hood lights run the full length of your tank and creep off the edge on your tank, you might not have enough room for the canopy to fit over it. If it doesn't than your safe. I have 6" clearnce from glass hood to canopy so if your hood lights are tall than it might also bee in the way of the canopy too.

bennyblanco
05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
i dont have the time to build one so i went to the lfs and pick one up 2day im going to home depot and get some paint!!! will post some pictures soon ``!!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_34.gif

lhforbes12
05-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Connie,
It should work fine. My 125 has a canopy and I have a 384 watt CF fixture, the only change I had to make was to remove the legs on the fixture and put a couple of short pieces of 2 x 4's under the ends to hold it up. My stand and canopy are from AGA and the canopy folds back on itself so the front is very open.

Larry