PDA

View Full Version : Look Ma' what I found!...

MiamiDan
05-24-2006, 09:25 AM
...at Wattley's! Gabe says it is a cross between a Blue Panda & Leopard. The result is a clean, light bluish body with Leopard markings. This is only the F2 generation, but I got 4 of these...sounds to me like a very set strain...Should we call it Powder Blue Leopard ?:D

Greg Richardson
05-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Very nice Dan. Now how about some more pictures of different angles?
Show us what u got. Must be a blast to go there.

lhforbes12
05-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Dan,
OMG that fish is absolutely gorgeous!

Larry

MiamiDan
05-24-2006, 01:29 PM
I think this one is a male...look at the developing bluish-powder color. Mind you, these guys are about 3.5" & have a long way to go. I expect to develop the full powder blue background as adults....

MiamiDan
05-24-2006, 01:35 PM
I believe this is a young female....as soon as they are about 4"+ I will separate all 4 of them in their own pairing headquarters..Man, I want to breed them sooo bad! :D Yup, it is a real thrill to visit Wattley's, I always come out empty-wallet, LOL. Can't help myself, like a kid in a candy store. Everytime I go, I see at least a dozen discus that I must have!

Greg Richardson
05-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks Dan! I'd come out of there broke also. LOL!

Clay
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
The fish is amazing and if it develops the powder blue colors across all of the white, it will be so beautiful and if you do breed them, I want to buy some... Could you ship to Pennsylvania?! lol :D

MiamiDan
05-24-2006, 02:57 PM
The fish is amazing and if it develops the powder blue colors across all of the white, it will be so beautiful and if you do breed them, I want to buy some... Could you ship to Pennsylvania?! lol :D

I hope it gets to that point! LOL. If Gabriel would hear me, he would kick my butt! He says him & Jack won't name it a strain until they have at least 500 of them! Well...I got a headstart, I'm feeding mine 6 times a day....there goes my bloodworm budget!:D

MusicCitySteve
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
I think that you should go with Dan's Powder Blue Leopard if they don't want to name the strain.

Beautiful fish and good luck breeding them, keep us posted.

blueemonday
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
That's a very nice cross. I love the blue on them.

lisagariz
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I wouldent know what to call them but they are in deed beautiful;)
Lisagariz

MiamiDan
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
That's it...you guys pushed me over the hill! :p ...just spoke to Gabe. Reserved 2 more pick of the litter for tomorrow. That way I will have 6 & hopefully at least 2 breeding pairs someday. I think he sold a most outside the USA & they will keep the rest. Will take more pics as soon as they settle down....

Clay
05-24-2006, 04:24 PM
I hope it gets to that point! LOL. If Gabriel would hear me, he would kick my butt! He says him & Jack won't name it a strain until they have at least 500 of them! Well...I got a headstart, I'm feeding mine 6 times a day....there goes my bloodworm budget!:D
I feed mine that much as well, but I so want one of those guys! lol

Hoe many times a day do you feed your bloodworms?

MiamiDan
05-24-2006, 05:29 PM
I feed mine that much as well, but I so want one of those guys! lol

Hoe many times a day do you feed your bloodworms?

Bloodworms 3 times a day and that is spoiling them. The rest of the time is a combination of Tetra bits, Flake food & Mysis Shrimp. I tried beefheart with them, but they don't like it too much, besides a bit messy for me.

brewmaster15
05-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Nice looking juvie Dan! enjoy them.. You mentioned that Gabe said they were
it is a cross between a Blue Panda & Leopard. The result is a clean, light bluish body with Leopard markings. This is only the F2 generation Did you see the F1 parents there?

-al

MiamiDan
05-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Nice looking juvie Dan! enjoy them.. You mentioned that Gabe said they were Did you see the F1 parents there?

-al
Nope, I believe Jack Wattley has them in his own breeding tanks. Contrary to popular believe, the man is still active, just out of the spotlight. Of course they won't tell me everything that is going on. What I did see was a few quarter-sized of this kind. The ones I bought are way too big in comparison so that leads me to believe that there are more than just a breeding pair from the F1. What I do like is that the "strain" seems to be remarkably constant. I must have seen maybe 30 in total...they only differ in some degree of peppering, longer marks vs spots, incomplete markings to certain parts of the body, etc, but they all exhibited light blue bodies, no stress bars, consistent red bars/spots patterns, developing light blue dorsal, anal fins in color. It doesn't look like a fluke few. Gabe never tried to sell them to me directly, until I insisted when I checked all his tanks :D & he explain the breed. He did charged me premium for them though & told me because they are brand new & nobody has them. For what its worth, I simply like them. Gabe was right in the sense that his place has poor light and none of his tanks have individual lights. When you put these guys in a show tank, with the correct lights, their bodies "shine" this powder blue :D

jim_shedden
05-25-2006, 12:13 AM
very nice.......thanks for the pics

jim

Kindredspirit
05-25-2006, 07:11 AM
I like the Powder Blue Leopard name! Really nice ~ Okay I have a few questions if I may so I can put all this into my book of knowledge!

F1 ~ is the first batch of fry from a pair? Or no? And my next question ~ Are you allowed to name your fry anything you want? Or is that not permitted? Do you have to carry over the name from the parents?

I know I know ~ dumb questions but hey ~ what can I say! lol!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Marie;
Yes, F1 are the first offspring of the original parents F0 (in this case a cross). As far as naming your fish, you can call them whatever you want, like Kindredspirit Snakeskins :D , just kidding, but when it comes to marketing them to the public as a whole, you want to have an established strain, in the hundreds; and a strain that can be reproduced consistently with the same characteristics...then you name the strain and hopefully people will keep it. I just saw somewhere somebody selling some Golden Anacondas(?) ..that's just LSS, with more yellow pigmentation and somebody changed the name.

April
05-25-2006, 11:19 AM
id like to see the parents. surely they have pics...or the real thing. ask when you go back to see them. : )
ill be curious to see how they are as they grow.

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
....and here I go again to Wattley's. Picked up the last of the mohicans from this tank. Sorry for the poor quality of pics...took it with my cell phone. Gabe said I could take as many pics as I wanted to...

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 04:45 PM
...close, but no cigar. Sorry guys, my mistake. Gabe told me that what I actually got now is the F1 generation from the Blue Panda x Leopard Cross. It will take me and F3 generation to assure some constant strain. Here's a pic of another cross...Snowflake x Leopard...similar, but the body was too light and not very consistent with the spots..they are experimenting a lot...

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
...breeding pairs anyone? each of these tanks have a breeding pair....oh man, I was in heaven!

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 04:47 PM
These are the Blue Pandas....one like this was used for my cross..these guys were hughe! at least 6.5-7"

Greg Richardson
05-25-2006, 07:33 PM
WOW! That one on the right must be eating Elephant heart!

Your head must have been spinning after leaving there.

Ed13
05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey Dan while you were there did you happen to see the Snowflake X blue diamond that Gabriel was working on sometime ago.

Any other photos you got?

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 10:22 PM
a few more pics, a very humbling experience...

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
another..

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
another...

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 10:25 PM
one more..

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 10:26 PM
want more?

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 10:32 PM
..last one...tonight I will dream with discus...:D

MiamiDan
05-25-2006, 11:11 PM
..well maybe one more, back at home, these are my future
..Powder Blue Leopards...

shawn9709
05-26-2006, 12:07 AM
well when you get some babies out of these very nice pb's i will take 10,no 20.

very nice

yeomans
05-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Dan, thanks for posting the amazing photos, I've always wondered what Wattleys hatchery looked like.I think if I ever set foot there, I'd think I died and gone to heaven. Must be a jaw dropping experiance, especially being able to go to the hatchery when ever to pick your own fish from those tanks.
Love the photos of the powder blues,hopefully you'll be able to produce some nice offspring, they seem like they would be a nice strain to work with.
best of luck josh

MiamiDan
05-26-2006, 08:17 AM
thanks for all the comments...I shall work hard to make them breed!:D now I got 6 ...this one is about 4"...notice how the bluish tone has developed in the upper 1/3 of the body...

AmazonRainbows
05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Nice pictures and fish at post #33 :thumbsup: