PDA

View Full Version : Bleach ~ Ammonia ~ Or Nothing?

Kindredspirit
05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey Guys ~

Need some input please ~ How many use bleach to clean/disinfect your tanks/deco/sponges whatever? And when do you use it? Only after a illness or as a reg thing?

I have read recently that bleach adheres to the tank sealant and can seep back out later ~ I also heard that some use salt and a sponge to disinfect ~

I know that once you don't smell the bleach anymore you have rinsed it all off successfully ~ then let air dry for a few days?

So.....whatz your thoughts peoples!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

traco
05-24-2006, 03:27 PM
I bleached the heck out of my 20 gallon after all the rams got sick and had to be put down. Bleach and hot water washed everything down, let hoses, filter, etc.... sit in the bleach solution for awhile, then rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. Dried the tank and filter, let air dry, added fresh water and triple primed. Let sit overnight, rinsed well again and then was ready to use again.

I threw out all the sponges. They are cheap to buy.

For regular cleaning, just tank water when cleaning in tank sponges and filter sponges. Usual wipe down of walls, etc...

marilyn1998
05-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Ditto. I use a bleach blend (very strong) when introducing new items to the tank. I boiled my clay pots for 30 minutes in water, then let them soak in bleach water for 3 days. Rinse, rinse, rinse, then let them soak 3 more days in plain water. THen I boiled them again for 30 minutes.

I had read that clay pots will sometimes be sprayed with a substance to make them shiny for the shelf of the store. ALso, you usually find them near all the ferts and poisons. Better safe than sorry.

As far as the tank... I also used bleach water for everything associated witt the tank. Replaced all sponges and filters.

pcsb23
05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
If I'm moving MY healthy fish around and a tank becomes empty I use H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) as a steriliser, pretty strong solution, and wiped over everything (wear gloves). If I'm cleaning a qt/hospital tank, water storage and equipment generally use PP. If a tank has been out of use for a long while I use bleach and elbow grease. New tank I use H2O2. Sponges from qt I nuke in the microwave, sponges from hosp I ditch.

BTW Marilyn, you are right o clean clay pots thouroughly, they are often treated with an anti fungal, which will kill the fish quite quickly!

BIGFOOT
05-24-2006, 05:08 PM
I use bleach for most everything always have long before Discus. I clean my water storage barrel with it every other week. I put the bleach in 5 gallon of cold water then runn the barrel. The way I hook my python to the barrel it also gets clean at the same time. Then I drain the barrel. When the barrel is empty I then shop vac out what ever water cant be pump out. Then do a hot water rinse and shop vac it again. Then i fill the barrel and on the first fill I add declor product. The rest of the water I do not add a declor product because I filter my water thru a sediment and carbon filter. Hope this helps ya.

AmberC
05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I voted "other" because if I really have to scrub something I will use vinegar (this is tank deco or tank stuff..not fish or plants or anything ;) ) but mostly I just use hot water.
I would never use bleach.. I'd be too afraid to.
Amber

Moon
05-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I use PP for all tanks and equipment. Much easier than bleach. I don't have to move tanks. Just fill it with water, add PP and leave for a day then drain the tank, refill and nuetralize with HP. I also soak nets in PP and run it through all hoses.
Joe

Green Country Discus
05-24-2006, 09:12 PM
I use PP to get things cleaned up ;) .

yeomans
05-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I've always used bleach at hot water on tanks and equipment. I'd never soak my sponges, just replace them.

Sindhu
05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I use only PP. Let it sit for 24 hrs, drain totally, sponge dry and then wipe with kitchen towels. You'll be surprise to still find gunk on the kitchen towels. Use Bleach for my HOT filter medium and nets but not for tanks as my tanks sits very close to each other and I am afraid that it might spill over to my other tanks that contains fish.

Sindhu

adzigogov2001
05-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Hot water above 75C kills 99.9% bacteria, or somethime I use potasium permangate for plants and fish. Just dip the plant for 15 sec. or the new fish for 30 sec. No patogens so far.

AmazonRainbows
05-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Start with hot water 100F or more with bleach before I close a tank.
When I need it again I put formalin 37% high dose for one day in the water.

Kindredspirit
05-25-2006, 06:20 AM
I voted "other" because if I really have to scrub something I will use vinegar (this is tank deco or tank stuff..not fish or plants or anything ;) ) but mostly I just use hot water.
I would never use bleach.. I'd be too afraid to.
Amber

I had heard this like three times in the last month ~ hence the reason for the this thread ~

and ~ I heard to that using vinegar wld be better as opposed to bleach in that if some was inadvertently left behind the fish wouldnt mind the acidity but the bleach wld not be a good thing ~

Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks Amber!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

Kindredspirit
05-25-2006, 06:22 AM
When I need it again I put formalin 37% high dose for one day in the water.

Formalin? Really? Interesting Pierre ~

Thank you for sharing that!

Kindredspirit
05-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Well this has been very informative for me ~

Formalin ~ PP ~ Vinager ~ three options I had never even thought of! Wonder if there are anymore?

Thanks Everyone!!

M ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

SSteino86
05-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Have always used strickly hot water. Never had any problems in about 7 years.

AmazonRainbows
05-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Formalin? Really? Interesting Pierre ~

Thank you for sharing that!

MArie,

I read in a previous post a guy taking a tank with dust in it and just filling it and put his Discus. Look like he end up with a bacterial problem. Since then when I need a tank that was stock somewhere for a little while I first start the tank with hot water and bleach. I roughtly rinse the tank after. Then I put freshwater and I overdose with formalin. Wait 24 hour (formalin lost is efficientcy) and put a filter with charcaol for 24h. Then I start adding cycling or cycled stuff.

Ed13
05-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I use bleach. But if theres no sign of any sickness I put muriatic acid in a bucket of water and dump everything in after a while I discard the water and use the equipment.

lkleung007
05-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi Maria,

I like to use isopropyl alcohol to disinfect things in the fishroom. It is easy to use, inexpensive and I don't have to keep rinsing to get rid of it. I have also used PP and like the results.

HTH, Lester

albatross
05-25-2006, 10:49 PM
I just used bleach to clean out my python and evidently did not get it totally out. I changed the water in my three tanks and suddenly noticed that every one was either dark or brightly colored, some floating some , Ijust hanging in the corner. I realized that I had poisened my tanks with the bleach from the python. I immediately changed the water 3 times using the bucket method. Not easy! I ended up losing three little discus and 3 Queen Arabesque plecos.
Now I'm having an ammonia rise in all three tanks. I used dechlorinator on the python and I either didn't use enough or maybe it was just no good, I don't know. I've never had this happen before, but needless to say I will NEVER use bleach again. I just hope the rest of my fish don't die! Is there anything else I can do besides large water changes to keep the ammonia in check?

bennyblanco
05-25-2006, 11:45 PM
hot water,hot water,hot water!!!

Timbo
05-26-2006, 05:38 AM
(from AM:))

Potassium Permanganate:
Pros: Effective, safe and fast. This is probably the best all around way to sterilize any tank.
Cons: Can stain clothing and hands. May not be readily available at your LFS.
Caution: Dangerous if mixed with formalin, as formaldehyde gas will result. Many common ich medicines such as RidIch+ and Quick Cure contain formalin. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Do not siphon by mouth.

Chlorine Bleach:
Pros: Most effective method available for killing all pathogens.
Cons: Harder to completely remove than Potassium Permanganate. May also discolor decorations.
Caution: Deadly to fish if not removed completely. Can potentially weaken the silicone joints on aquariums if not diluted enough or used too often. Use in a well ventilated area. Do not siphon by mouth.

Saltwater/freshwater: (most freshwater pathogens cannot live in saltwater, likewise for saltwater pathogens in freshwater)
Pros: Very low risk of harming fish.
Cons: Moderately effective method of killing all pathogens.
Cautions: None.

Acetic Acid: vinegar
Pros: Very low risk of harming fish, but better than nothing.
Cons: This is the least effective method of killing all pathogens.
Cautions: Not effective enough to be recommended.

brewmaster15
05-26-2006, 05:54 AM
bleach