PDA

View Full Version : shedding discus

wazoman
05-24-2006, 08:55 PM
I recently purchased two fish from Wattley Discus while on vacation. One a six inch red striated and one a five inch golden sunshine. I got them home and to my surprise they paired up and started breeding!! Anyhow, I just set up and moved them into a 20g high with a cone. Water is perfect, but they are losing a lot of slime coat. Could this be the mucus that the fry eat, or am I having a Bigger problem? Any help would be appreciated, thank you, WAZOMAN

marilyn1998
05-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Are you doing water changes right from the tap? And is this when you the slime? OR is it some other time? Please go to the disease section and answer the questions there to give us more information to better help you. Thanks!

April
05-24-2006, 11:34 PM
yes..different parameters..with a big wc will make them shed slime coat.
see how it goes in a few hours. if its coming off in white strands..and floating to the top..no panic.

wazoman
05-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Hello, Wazoman again, all is well with the "shedding Discus". Just must have been a little stress. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I used the water from my 75g to fill the breeding tank. Thats why I did not think it was my water. Took your advice and waited a couple hours, but also did a water change. The fish swam like crazy to the incoming water and rid thmselves of any excess mucus coat. I work nights, and when I got home the next morning, bada bing about 80 eggs on cone.Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated!!! What a great sight Simply Discus is!!!!

April
05-25-2006, 08:40 PM
nothin like a change in temp and parameters..to get them laying..you just induced breeding is all.. : )
glad all is fine.

wazoman
05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Hello, April, Wazoman again. Thanks again for the help, can you tell me how long I should leave the lights on in the breeding tank now that they have layed eggs? Also how about feeding? Thanks,Wazoman.