PDA

View Full Version : White backgrounds for pigeons

yeomans
05-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Helllo all, I heard before that if you use a white background on tanks with pigeons they will try to almost camoflage themselves and by doing so lose most of their black pigmentation. Any truth to this ?
Josh

AmberC
05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I have no clue. Interesting tho! Anyone know?
Where did you hear that?
Amber

yeomans
05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
My best friend went and visited a local breeder to pick up some fish from him, apparently he was conditioning fish for an upcomming show and put all of his pigeons in tanks with whtie backgrounds to help them lose there specks. I thought this was an interesting theroy becuase in my tank with pigeons there is a black wall on one side of the tank, I was thinking about testing this theroy to see if the black specks would disapear, although I think they won't completly disapear since it is a genetic trait, just sort of a way to self camoflage. josh

AADiscus
05-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't say they loose there "pepper" just from changing the back ground. However, if you put a dark colored fish or one with pepper in a tank that has a light colored background it will brighten them up. With a dark background it makes them look darker and shows there pepper more. IMO

yeomans
05-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the repply Angela,, thats along the lines of what I was thinking, just wanted to know if there was any truth to that satement. josh

bennyblanco
05-27-2006, 02:12 AM
:D well today i empty out my 55 gallon to put up my new 100 gallons and i had to put my discus somewhere so i got my ice chest all white in the inside and put my discus in there to empty out the 55, i have one pb 9 discus in total,the thing is when i had everything set up i put all my discus in the new 100 gallon and the pb had no pepper what so ever and the rest of my discus had a beautiful color to them i was so surprise when i saw them, so all i have to say is that is truth white backgrounds do work, try it out to be a believer, by the way they only stayed in the ice chest for 1 hour!!! and yes i have a lite color background in my tank!!! im not saying that the pepper will not come back but it does look better :D