PDA

View Full Version : I finally have fry

stiver james
05-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I am sure several of you have been reading my threads about my eggs turning white and not hatching. Well I added some meth. blue to my water to prevent fungus and most of the eggs still turned white. But I had about 20 or so that were fertile. They turned to wigglers and now they are attached to mom and dads slime coat. I don't know why some of the eggs were not fertilized but I am satisfied with what I have. It is so neat to see them swim from one parent to another. It also seems that the parents are good ones as they are taking care of the fry like they are suppose to. (So far that is). Anyway they seem to be good parents. This is the second day they have been swimming with their parents so I figure in about 4 more days I will start them on live baby brine shrimp. I read somewhere that they can live off their parents slime coat for 14 days is this true? I want to raise the few that made it to adults as I have waited a long time for this. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Also will I get a bigger hatch next time. Seems to me I should. As soon as I can I will post pic's of the little guys. I just hope everything goes alright from here. If someone could shoot me some advise as to where to go from here I sure am listening. Thanks, Jim

kdazzel
05-28-2006, 10:29 PM
:thumbsup: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Congratulations!!

That must be so cool!!!!

kdazzel

shawn9709
05-28-2006, 11:17 PM
dont brag

BIGFOOT
05-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Break out the windex for the nose prints on the front glass lol. Serious glad to hear you got wigglers.

Alight
05-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Congrats, Stivers. See, it really can happen! OK, since it's a small spawn, be prepared for the parents to get ready to spawn again. If you want to keep the current spawn, hopefully, you will be out 10 days or more, and you can just remove the fry to a small tank, feed them bbs for a couple of more weeks, and start to mix in finely crushed tetra bits, etc., and they will do well without the parents, and you can let the parents spawn again. You will probably have a bigger spawn with the next batch---but as you've seen, no promises on anything with Discus! They get you just when you think you have it down and have seen everything.

You'll know the pair are getting ready to spawn again if they start cleaning a surface and doing the head shimmy shake thing again. That's when to make sure you have another tank ready to take the fry off to. The parents will eat them if you don't

Others have separated the male and female with egg crate material, so they don't spawn, and the fry can swim back and forth, but that doesn' t necessarily stop some from spawning and eating the old fry.

Good luck!

kaceyo
05-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Congrats,
For now, just keep up with the wc's keep the tank walls and filter clean and enjoy. You can let the parents feed the fry till they're onto BH and other frozen foods but they'll do much better if put on bbs within the first week.

Kacey

danoinalaska
05-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Grats Jim,
Nicely done! As Al mentioned, your spawns should increase in size now as your pair matures. It only gets getter from here on out.
Best wishes,
Dan

chris allsop
05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
good luck, i keep having eggs in the community but dont last more than 2 days, hope they do better when i move the rest to a new tank.

yeomans
05-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Cograts on the wigglers, best of luck with raising your fry.

AmberC
05-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Man.. I could have sworn I replied to this! I know I read it!

Anyways.. congratulations on the fry! You'll have to keep us posted and is there a possibility of pictures? I love fry pics!!!

Amber

marilyn1998
05-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Congrats Jim. I know it has been a long time coming! Good Luck raising them, and I hope you get more batches than you can care for!!!;)