PDA

View Full Version : buying fry

pharaoh2653
05-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi i am a begginer to this discus thing and am thinking of buying some but dont know who to buy from. does anyone have any suggestions?(pm me if you dont want to publicise your choices) also i was wondering if buying smaller discus (1-2")is ok. they are of course cheaper but from reading the threads people usually buy fish in the 3"-4" range. is there a specific reason for this. and is it ok to buy different types and mix and match or to buy all one variety.

cole

goheel
05-29-2006, 04:57 PM
If you're a beginner, I would suggest buying discus at 3" range. Smaller discus tend to have more problems.

05-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Buying fry at this size would only be ok if you are totally commited to discus. In fact I've got some MR's about 1 inch right now and to let you know the work it takes, I change 50% or more water 2 times per day everyday and I'm feeding 6-8 times per day.It's a lot of work for a beginner and you might get burnt out. Without this type of care each day they will not grow properly or healthy, but if your willing to work then it is cheaper and it's fun to watch them grow!

Greg Richardson
05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I would call Frank and get in on his next order if no 3" to 4" available now.
The reasons already given are very good ones.
It's all about your willingness to deal with sick fish at fry age no matter who you get them from. If WC time isn't available do yourself a favor and buy the older ones whose immunity levels to disease is further along thus more enjoyment, less time, closer to breeding if that is your goal.

http://www.goldmountaindiscus.com/mainhome.htm

AADiscus
05-30-2006, 12:28 PM
I would not start out with the smaller fish. They require alot more time than an older one and if you are new to the hobby then get your experience with them from a little bit older ones. Just make sure when you do get your fish you have your tank ready to go. Another thing is with the smaller fry, you really don't want to put them in a planted tank. JMO I'm not for sure if you are going bb or planted but it really means alot to the little ones.

lhforbes12
05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Cole,
I absolutely agree with everyone who has posted. The place that I would differ with them is size. IMO even 3" is too small for a beginner. I would start with as large of fish as you possibly can. In the end it will give you far less heartache and, believe or not, cost you less money. Also, as Angela has already said, a planted tank and young discus just are a very poor choice. As 1977 said, young discus need wc's everyday, and scrupulous attention to cleanliness, this is just not possible with a substrate in your tank. Can you do it? Well... yes. Should do it? Absolutely not.

Larry

BIGFOOT
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I think 3 inch fish is good to start with butt they do need their water change on a daily basis. And a tank so clean the you the owner can eat out of it. If you know nothing about fish in general Then I would suggest that you read for about six months. Any info from set up to diseases. You just might have to medicate them when you get so its good to ready for when you need most.

pharaoh2653
05-30-2006, 05:48 PM
thanks for the replies, i am not new to fish keeping but am new to discuss. any more tips?

waterbaby
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Cole,
I am not new to fish keeping either, been at it for about 18 years BUT I was also new to the Disucs world and believe me it is an entirely different planet. Once I decided to go Discus I spent three months reading every thread on this website just to get comfortable for my endeavor. It has paid off tremendously. I have been lucky, I have not lost a single fish and only had a small bout with disease but knew exactly what to do because of the information provided on this site, no panic, no overmedication, just knew what to do. So I agree with the others, educate yourself on the "Discus World" before buying anything. And once you get started you will absolutely love'em.
Jami

April
06-01-2006, 12:39 AM
good advice. start with 6-8( 8 is better. they feel more secure ) if you can..all bought at the same place..same time.keep your parameters even..and only feed what they eat all at once. try get them to come up for food. keep the bottom vacuumed .
frank is a very good choice or..depending where you live..there may be a homebreeder near you. if you get from frank or a homebreeder..you also get a bit more support and start out with healthy stock. makes a huge difference in how the fish act .
also..barred discus are easier to start with..as you can tell by their bars if they are happy or stressed.
with reading..theres been alot of newbies to discus who were very successful.