PDA

View Full Version : sick?

shawn9709
05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
my 25-2inch discus are laying on there side and not moving much.a week ago they were just fine.my water per. are good.and i just did a w/c sun.can anyone help me?
thanks shawn

shawn9709
05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
i just lost one!!! someone help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kindredspirit
05-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Shawn ~

Gather some info if you can okay? Do you conditioner your water when you do your wc? Is it tap? Bare bottom? Are they alone? Did you qt them? What size is your tank? What are you water parameters?

They are small and it is best to do wc daily ~ Have you done one today?

Someone will be along soon hang in there!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Greg Richardson
05-30-2006, 01:23 PM
How much wc u do? Was it aged? Where do u get your water?

shawn9709
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
it is bb tank. idid not qt them. i had 20 colbalt&golden's and added 5 green's i guess thats when all hell broke loose.i have 3 35 gal tub's that i put tap in and let sit for 24hrs with air stone.i dont think clorine got in the tank.tank is a 125 gal.if clohrine get in there will they act like this?

brewmaster15
05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Shawn,
The first thing I would do is forget about aging the water to remove chlorine... The concentrations vary too much and you never know when they switch over to a chloramine..

I would start here by using a water de-chlorinator that also does chloramine....Its your safest coarse of action.

next...give us some time lines as to what has happened.. are there any signs of slime coat problems, cloudy eyes,fins,etc.. any signs of fin burns or inflammed gills? Labored breathing?

how about the wc... have you tested for ammonia and nitrite?

-al

shawn9709
05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
0 nitrate,0 ammonia.this happend right about the time i did w/c.i do 50% 1 a week on my 125 gal.i moved them to my 75 gal community tank up stairs they seem to be doing better.other then my green scat chasing them.i am going to move him.

Greg Richardson
05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
So your community tank is cycled I assume? Last time u did a wc on the 75?

shawn9709
05-30-2006, 04:14 PM
about two week ago the last w/c.yes its cycled and there is only a couple of angels and 1 scat in the tank. i only feed every other day on that tank so it will stay clean.thanks

Greg Richardson
05-30-2006, 05:25 PM
So they in the 75 correct? Still on sides?
Discus need to be fed every day.
I'd do a minimum 50% wc right now.
Do another 30% in the morning.
Another one before u go to bed.
It's got to be your water imo.
Is it gravel?

It wouldn't be the first time someones test kit doesn't register right.

shawn9709
05-30-2006, 05:39 PM
i feed my discus twice a day not my angels.no they are not on there sides.i just feed them and they all come to the top for food.i think there going to be fine.i tested the water in the 75 gal.and it is almost perfect.ph is alittle high 7.4.i n my tanks in the basment it is 6.8-7.0.

thanks shawn

Alight
05-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Watch the water in your 75 very closely. You just added a huge bioload to it, so even if it is cycled, it will cycle again. Make sure you have a good ammonia and nitrite test kit. If either go up, start water changes. I

It sounds like the problem may have been your tap water to start with. Do you aerate your aging water? Like Brewmaster said, use a treatment in the water that will treat both the chlorine and chloramine. You should do this to make sure you get rid of CO2 and saturate the water with O2. Is the water heated before you add it to your tank? Make sure the temperature is close to your tank temperature before adding it.

shawn9709
05-30-2006, 07:33 PM
yes i heat the water and i have a air stone in it also.

Kindredspirit
05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Watch the water in your 75 very closely. You just added a huge bioload to it, so even if it is cycled, it will cycle again. Make sure you have a good ammonia and nitrite test kit. If either go up, start water changes. I

It sounds like the problem may have been your tap water to start with. Do you aerate your aging water? Like Brewmaster said, use a treatment in the water that will treat both the chlorine and chloramine. You should do this to make sure you get rid of CO2 and saturate the water with O2. Is the water heated before you add it to your tank? Make sure the temperature is close to your tank temperature before adding it.

Thank you;)