PDA

View Full Version : breeding pair wont eat...

Oilers
06-01-2006, 12:56 AM
after years of keeping these guys and almost giving up keeping discus, i actually now have a pair. they're about 2 and half yrs old. Anyways, they laid eggs twice, first time eating all the eggs in about a day, second time eating them in about 3-4 days. now this is the third time, and there actually some wigglers ( i thought they ate all the eggs, so i did a 40% water change, filled up the tank and saw these two little wigglers swimming around.) During all this breeding, they have eaten close to nill the stuff i'm feeding them( bh, fbw). should i be worried, and move them back into their community giving them a break?

(3 spawns in about 2 weeks)

Kenny's Discus
06-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi Oilers - you could try to feed them more nutrious food when they aren't watching eggs/carrying frys. Some of my pairs are like yours in that they don't have much of an appeptite during breeding times. Maybe they knew they have more important things to do at that moment lol.

I wouldn't put them back into the community tank just yet because they have yet to carry frys. The most stressing times are when they are carrying wigglers, not laying/fertilizing eggs IMO.

hth,
Kenny

chris allsop
06-01-2006, 04:48 AM
my new pair have not eaten alot at all since i bourght them a week ago but spawned on monday, and ate the eggs yesterday!!

im hoping now the eggs have gone they will eat.

Kenny's Discus
06-01-2006, 04:54 AM
They should Chris. IME it might take about a day for them to regain their normal appetite.

Kenny