PDA

View Full Version : The Dance

Japuta
06-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I have a pair that has started the dance in my 125 gallon tank. Newly formed pair cleaning a piece of slate like crazy. My question is do I move them to the breed tank or let them try in the big tank water peram perfect in big tank however there are 10 other discus 3 small clown loaches and 3 small pandas.
I wonder if I move them now if the dance will stop for now. Should I move the 2 other species and let them spawn in the big tank. Any suggestions.

lhforbes12
06-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Japuta,
I would move the pair. It may "slow them down" for awhile, but they should resume the dance soon. It will be easier for you, the other fish, and them in the end. JMO

Larry

Kenny's Discus
06-01-2006, 08:42 PM
I like seeing THE DANCE any time of the day. lol

Like Larry said, they will resume dancing or shivering once they're comfortable in their new tank/environment. Don't worry about breaking their bond.

Kenny

AADiscus
06-01-2006, 09:00 PM
I would move them to there own tank if you are wanting to breed them. But, be prepared for them in the breeder tank and also be ready for when they spawn. If you have a hatch from the first spawn, you will need a grow out tank for them plus get ready for bbs. I am not trying to turn you away from breeding but you also need everything ready for them as well.

It is so exciting to watch them DANCE and spawn, then you have the wigglers and free swimmings. But what do you do after that??? That is something some don't think about. Just trying to let you know up front. ;)

Japuta
06-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I have 2 29s for breeding set to go. I have a 55 gallon ready for the fry.
I think I am ready. The BBS are in the works I guess I need to Hurry a little with that. I am not in a Big Hurry so I am thinking I will let them practice in the 125 this once and move them after eggs are laid (which is going to happen any time) and I will see if they got it figured out I have a feeling they will stumble through this First Spawn with these two.

chikku
06-02-2006, 06:02 AM
a pair of my discus are side by side and they are shaking their dorsal fins and flicker their pectoral fins

is this the "dance" you speak of!

hehe

Japuta
06-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Sounds like it Chikku. Early signs are they cleaning antything??
On my situation she laid her eggs after several trial runs they got in formation for a spawn then just when I thought he was about to fertilize he ate them up instead. Now I think I will move them.

lhforbes12
06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Japuta,
Don't be discouraged. It almost always takes a young pair 3 or more (sometimes many more) tries before they "get it right", but they almost always do in the end.

Larry

AADiscus
06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track Japuta. Now you just need wigglers. :D

chikku
06-02-2006, 10:36 PM
nah, their not pecking at anythin yet. ders a pvc tube in there. they just keep shaking at one another. sometimes it scares me the way they twitch looks like they have somethin wrong with them.

maybe they just like "dancing" haha

Japuta
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
How long has it been going on Chikku? How long have these fish been in the same tank? How old or large are they. I have another two (Pair???) that have been showing similar signs for about a week still a little new to it I think.

Japuta
06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
After the first Pair laid & ate eggs. They started right back at it. so I moved them to the breed tank. THey stopped dancing and have slowed with eating. Its only been a couple days but they seem to be depressed even after WC they dont seem as happy.

AADiscus
06-06-2006, 09:53 AM
They just need to get adjusted to the new tank. Give them a couple weeks and hopefully they will start dancing and spawning for you.