PDA

View Full Version : problems, opacified eyes

grelot
06-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I got a little problem here.

here's the whole story.

I have a 90 gallons tank with 11 discus (3 to 4 inches)
Afew months ago I had a fish that had quit eating and that was hiding. he looked normal except of that. I did treat the tank with metro and everything came back to normal.

since last week I have a fish that stopped eating (not the same fish than last time but it's in the same tank). His colors are very good (not dark at all). But he does stay behind the sponge. fins are a bit clamped. When I add food he come out but doesnt eat, sometime he eat and spit.
Today for the first time since a bit more than a week I saw him eating a few frozen blood worms.
But now I just noticed that his eyes are a bit opacified. It is not heavily opacified but it is. It is not white, it's like smoky and it follows the mood bar into the eye (like if it was the continuity of it)

so I'm wondering if I should start an antibiotic treatment right now or not???
What I did right now is doing a big WC (70%).
I have some kanamycin at hand, should I use it right now??
Should I use something else???
what is the dosage for kanamycin???
should I treat the whole tank or separate him???

I'll wait for you thoughts guys????

thanks in advance

Remi

tpl*co
06-04-2006, 02:05 AM
How often are you doing your water changes and what size water change? Have you tested your nitrates and nitrites? A lot of the symptoms you are describing can be caused from poor water quality. What temp is your tank?

Tina

pcsb23
06-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Agree with Tina, water quality would be the first thought. The other thought would be nematodes. I'd recommend dealing with the water quality first, try for 50% w/c daily for a week or so, cleaning the tank scrupulously as well for that time.

grelot
06-04-2006, 11:16 AM
they already have around 50% WC daily and nitrites and ammonia are zero

pcsb23
06-04-2006, 02:32 PM
then in that case I would consider nematodes before bacterial.

grelot
06-04-2006, 03:25 PM
the thing is that I have treated them for nematodes maybe a bit more than a month ago.
I did 250 mg of piperazine citrate per 10 gallons of water. I did 3 treatments, one every other day.

pcsb23
06-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Remi, you say that its colour is good, and that it has just recently eaten a few fbw's. But its eye is cloudy and its hiding with clamped fins. In order I would go water, then nematodes, then bacterial. But from what you describe in your first post it seems to have improved slightly, as in it eats a bit now when it didn't before. That would lead me away from bacterial, unless it was minor and its shaken it off. If thats the case I would leave it be and keep up with the water changes.

Were any other fish added in the last few weeks or have you fed live food? Also what brand of fbw do you use?

jesse
06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Hello Grelot,

did your try to add non ionized salt 2tbsp/10G ?

Jess