PDA

View Full Version : I have to laugh at myself...

AmberC
06-07-2006, 08:47 AM
You know.. sometimes when I am on here I think about when I first came to this forum.. and I dont remember what exactly my post was about, but I was running carbons in my tank and so many of you came back and told me to take my carbons out.

My reaction was WHAT!? They are ALL crazy!!! How will my tank get clean!?

lmao. I actually didn't post here again for a while because I was just baffled. This new information went against everything I had ever learned. But since so many people had told me... I came back and found out why NOT to run carbons.

Well... I took them out lol But I have learned SO very much in my time being here on Simply. Even tho I haven't been here that long.

I guess my point is just that this site is SO great! Al, Ryan and all our mods and team members.. you all do such a fabulous job with this site and helping people with their fish, and not only that, but you are all so sweet and caring about people you have never even met. You guys amaze me!

THANK YOU.

Amber

dandestroy
06-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Actually from what I have read there is still no proof that carbon is bad for discus...this is more a myth that a fact...

...but before i get flamed, carbon left unatended can be pretty nasty, and therefore it is recommended to have it in at the beginning and to trow it out once the tank is cycled.

Sometime carbon will be usefull, like for removing meds, before switching to an other med.

that say i don't thing this was the pooint of your tread...which is really how great the people that run this site, and people that are incolve in it are amazing.

I have to thank all of you as well, for all the help I got here

sleonard
06-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Yes, this is a great site, I have also learned a lot and have now changed my evil ways. I have learned not to use substrate with young discus, to change my water much more often, that I don't need RO, low Ph, or low TDS unless breeding (being able to use tap was the best time and energy saver of all), water chemistry, and an excellent intro to disease and treatment. Oh, and I also learned about the proper use of filter carbon :)

Dan, you are correct. Carbon is not bad in and of itself. It is bad only if left in the water too long and starts leaching nasties back into the tank. Everything I have read here at Simply has been to that effect and I have yet to read something by one of the resident experts that says any carbon use is bad for Discus. So, as far as I can tell, no carbon myth is being spread in these parts.

The problem is that carbon can reach saturation in less than a single day (I have read as little as 12 hours) and that makes it unlikely that anyone would change it often enough to prevent the problems it will cause. It would also be too expensive to change that often.

AmberC
06-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I did not mean that carbon is completely bad. I have my own physical proof tho that carbon can cause HLLE and other ill effects as that is what happened in my tank. I ran the carbon for 5 months? changing it out once a month for a new one. Rinsing it a few times a month in tap water. Once I took it out my fish started to thrive. But there are a lot of things in this hobby that some believe and some dont. This is what I believe :)

Amber

Cosmo
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
We're gonna miss you Amber :(

AmberC
06-07-2006, 02:42 PM
We're gonna miss you Amber :(

lol.. but I am NOT leaving Simply! I am still gonna post as much as before... I could never leave you guys! :D Plus I can keep learning for my return to discus down the road :)

Amber

Kindredspirit
06-07-2006, 05:06 PM
lol.. but I am NOT leaving Simply!
Amber

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_206.gif

( When you have them there twins )

AmberC
06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_206.gif

( When you have them there twins )

Ooooh.. I think you just WANT me to come to Cali.. cause I'm gonna be on the next flight to kick your butt if you keep saying I'm having twins!!!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_102v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYDUUS)<--- Me kicking Maries butt!!! lol

Amber

Condor
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
You know.. sometimes when I am on here I think about when I first came to this forum.. and I dont remember what exactly my post was about, but I was running carbons in my tank and so many of you came back and told me to take my carbons out.

My reaction was WHAT!? They are ALL crazy!!! How will my tank get clean!?

lmao. I actually didn't post here again for a while because I was just baffled. This new information went against everything I had ever learned. But since so many people had told me... I came back and found out why NOT to run carbons.

Well... I took them out lol But I have learned SO very much in my time being here on Simply. Even tho I haven't been here that long.

I guess my point is just that this site is SO great! Al, Ryan and all our mods and team members.. you all do such a fabulous job with this site and helping people with their fish, and not only that, but you are all so sweet and caring about people you have never even met. You guys amaze me!

THANK YOU.

Amber

Well said, Amber. :)