PDA

View Full Version : OK, now I'm worried!

kaceyo
06-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I just checked a tank with a breeding pair and wrigglers and and the female is acting listless, leaning a little to one side, her egg tube is extended out a bit and there is white around the edges of her vent (is it called a vent with fish as with birds?). She is dark, which isn't unusual for fish with a spawn. She's been eating but hasn't paid as much attention to the sawn as she usually does. The wrigglers are due to go free swimming tomorrow. I do daily 30% wc's on this tank. Does the white around her anal opening sound like a bacterial infection or fungal infection? I've never seen this before. I need some help here.
Thanks,

Kacey

Carol_Roberts
06-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm surprised her tube is extended this early. I've not seen white around the vent. Keep an eye on her - you are the best judge of her condition.

kaceyo
06-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi Carol,
I'm don't understand the "surprised her tube is extended this early" thing. This early in what? Her condition is not good, and I'd like to keep it from getting worse.
Thanks,

Kacey

Carol_Roberts
06-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Usually they do not have their tube extended (as if trying to lay eggs again) with wigglers still on the cone. She is more important than the spawn I'd put the cone and male (if he is healthy) in a different tank and start doing large water changes on her - have antibiotics handy.

AmberC
06-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I hope it is nothing serious! It does not sound good though.

Good luck to you!
Amber

kaceyo
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Carol,
Now I see what you meant. Yes, it didn't seem like it had anything to do with trying spawn again. More like it was another symptom of the problem. The pair was PP'd a week before spawning and the male is fine. I have a 10gal with 3 young BN pleco's I can remove and put her in. I have used both oxytetracyclin and Furan 2 in the past and I have kanamyacin on hand. Do the symptoms suggest to you that one might be better than the others in this case? At this point I don't know whether to consider it internal or external.
Amber,
Thanks, hopefully with a little help I'll get it taken care of.

Kacey

pcsb23
06-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Kacey, I would seperate her too. I have not seen this either so I'm speculating a bit. I would gues that its a fungal infection and therefore secondary. If you can get Furan 2 then that is a better option as its a broad spectrum ab. Watch the fish in your 55 very carefully for similar signs. I'm worried that the BN you moved may have carried some bacterial infection with it. Also watch the male too!

kaceyo
06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Paul,
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Kacey

Carol_Roberts
06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Sounds good to me too. Hope she is OK

kaceyo
06-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Carol & Paul,
She is in her own 20gal. Will do two 50% wc's daily and watch for now. There is a development in the 55gal which I'll go into in the other thread.
Thanks for the help,

Kacey