PDA

View Full Version : New Discus

jdh21cali
06-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Here are some of my new fish. Photo taken in sellers tank.
What do you guys think? Please Grade.
All coments welcome
Thanks

jdh21cali
06-09-2006, 12:47 AM
1 more

bennyblanco
06-09-2006, 01:01 AM
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
THATS WHAT COUNTS!!

jdh21cali
06-09-2006, 01:24 AM
I know, I just would like to know what other people think. I am new to Discus keeping.
The person I bought these from said they are Red spotted Green Discus.
Is that correct?
Thanks

Tony_S
06-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Is that correct?

The name Red Spotted Green in its true origin, referes to a type of wild green discus. That discus isnt a wild type, its a domestic 'leopard' type discus.

As for a grade....not the greatest pictures. But, from what I can see possibly a B+

Tony

lhforbes12
06-09-2006, 06:12 AM
JDH,
I would have to agree with Tony, pretty much with everything he said. At first I was inclined to slightly bump them up to an A-, but in looking at them for a minute, they both have slightly beaky mouths and slightly weak chins. The top one seems to have a very nice forehead and very nice dorsal and anal fins, and the transitition from forehead to dorsal is almost perfect. I really can't see the bottom one well enough. So I am more inclined to lower it to a B. I also agree with Benny that it's what you think that really counts. Also these are among my favorite strains and I would love to have them in my tanks, very nice fish all in all.

Larry

poconogal
06-09-2006, 07:38 AM
I know, I just would like to know what other people think. I am new to Discus keeping.
Is that correct?
Thanks

Regardless of slightly weak chins or beaky mouths, I think they look beautiful - I love their color/pattern and shape and I think you did very well, being new to Discus. Enjoy them!
Connie

Carol_Roberts
06-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Look healthy with pretty pattern and color :)

Bainbridge Mike
06-09-2006, 03:02 PM
They are nice fish. I would say better than average so B+ or possibly an A- but we would need more and better pictures to be more precise. I would be happy to own them.

Mike

ShinShin
06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
At what point does a RSG not become a RSG? I have seen some domestic RSG's to the F4 - F5 generations look nothing like the original RSG's and very much like a great leopard. I can't say which you have there - a Leopard or RSG. The fish looks good from the photo. I especially like the second photo. A better pic would reveal more.

Mat

jdh21cali
06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Here are some pictures of the fish in my tank.

jdh21cali
06-09-2006, 05:32 PM
more pics

jdh21cali
06-09-2006, 05:33 PM
and 1 more

jdh21cali
06-09-2006, 05:34 PM
last pic

Tony_S
06-09-2006, 07:32 PM
At what point does a RSG not become a RSG?

Thats a tough one to answer....truthfully, I dont think there is an answer to that question, only opinion.

My angle....the name Red Spot Green was coined for a wild fish...when I hear the term, the first thing that comes to mind is a 'wild' discus.
F1 and beyond is domestic....
With that said, I dont have a problem with breeders/sellers using the term Red Spot Green, but I wish (if in fact the fish is truely derived from wild RSG) that they would include 'domestic' in the name, or F1, F2. etc.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs....

As for the New pictures,(much better jdh, thanks) Im still sticking with a B+ Its little more pointed in the head region than I like to see, and the eye looks a little bit large(nothing too serious though) It could well turn out to be an A- though. Overall its a pretty decent discus.

Tony

Timbo
06-09-2006, 08:31 PM
i'm not a "grader" of discus per se, but based on the first two of the new set, they look very nice to me.

as others have said before (and will again, because its oh so true) it really doesnt matter to any great extent if they are show/champion quality or have very minor superfluous flaws, as 99.99% of discus out there will not achieve champion status. those you have, to my (alleged:)) mind, would be worthy of breeding, with all the joys and sense of accomplishment that a serious hobbyist gains from that endeavour.