PDA

View Full Version : Parents and Kids

stiver james
06-09-2006, 10:56 PM
As some of you know I have had a hard time with a successful spawn. Well my two Red SS finally had a spawn with a small hatch. Last time I counted it was 17 and I know there is at least that many still swimming and eating bb brine-shrimp like crazy. I am going to attempt to post some pic's for every ones enjoyment. These parents are finally turning out to be real good ones and I hope that the next spawn will be larger. I do have a couple of questions though. These fry are about 21/2 weeks old. How long can I leave them with their parents? Being such a small hatch I would think that I could leave them with the parents a little longer. They are eating freshly hatched bb brine shrimp. They gorge themselves with the stuff. How much should I be feeding them daily? I wash the sides of the tank and change at least 50 percent of the water daily is this good enough? Any help is always appreciated. I am overjoyed with this hatch I can already start seeing the stripes on some of the bigger fry. It's really fun to watch them. Please give me any feed back on the pic's and excuse the quality. Thanks, Jim

stiver james
06-09-2006, 10:57 PM
another

stiver james
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Again

stiver james
06-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Not many more as I am a bad photographer

stiver james
06-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Looks like I duplicated that one sorry.

lhforbes12
06-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Jim,
It looks to me like they are doing very well. Congrats! Don't worry about feeding them too much bbs, keep their tummies full.

stiver james
06-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Sorry the pic's didn't turn out that good. I will keep you guys posted as they grow. Like I said before this is my first successful hatch and it just puts one on cloud nine knowing after all your hard work it finally paid off. Even if it is a small spawn. The knowledge that I learned doing this one can never learn in a book. I want to take the time to thank all of you who have helped me with question after question. With out SD I would have been lost and I really appreciate all the people and information that I learned on this website. If I sound like I am bragging I don't mean to be I am just so overwhelmed that I finally did it and like I said before I couldn't have done it with out all of you people that love discus also. Now if I could just get my other pair to stop eating their eggs and raise the fry like these two Red SS it would really be something. I can't believe the parenting of these two red ss it's absolutley phenominal. Again I will keep you guys posted with up dated pics. Thanks, Jim

Greg Richardson
06-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Congrats Jim! Like Larry said feed them! Then feed them so more!
As long as you keep up with wc's u in good shape.
If u have the time and are doing your 50% earliar in the day wc later in the evening hour or so after last feed really helps for that time period into morning.

greyhoundfan
06-10-2006, 02:14 AM
WTG Jim.. I think your pictures turned out great. I'm happy for you that your discus experiences are now on the up side after the tough loss you suffered about a month ago.

I'm anxious to see how your babies turn out. Keep the nice pics coming.

AmberC
06-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Awww! Look how big they are getting! How cute!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Amber

AADiscus
06-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Congrats Stiver!!! I would feed them every time you see there bellies not full. I would say 5-8 x's per day. Try also to start feeding them something else. It will take a few days for them to realize there is other food but give it a shot. Shave some bh or cut up some worms. I would pull them from the parents once they are eating other items besides bbs. This should be within the next 2 weeks. I would also do a 50% in the morning and 50% at night. The bbs foul up the tank.

marilyn1998
06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Way to go JIM!!!!!!! I can feel your excitement. The pics are fine!!! I love how BIG they are!!!! Maybe I can get some from you when they are bigger!

dixiedog
06-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Congratulations Jim! Beautiful!

pcsb23
06-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Jim, must have missed this one! They look good to me, the photo's are not too bad at all (own worst critic). Feed them often, 6 to 8 times a day if you can, and try adding in some crushed flake or bh or similar. They can probably stay with the parents for about another week w/o too many probs. Watch the parents for signs of distress or wanting to lay again. If you see those signs I'd remove the little ones. 50% w/c is a minimum now for a while and you are rght to keep the tank clean.

Good luck and well done.

RichieE
06-15-2006, 10:09 AM
With only 20 or so fry I would pull them in the next few days to a week which you may have done since your origional post is almost a week old. I put them in a 10 gallon tank with just an air stone and do 2 50% water changes a day or 1 100% water change a day. No filter necessary if the water changes are kept up. Start feeding crushed flakes or Tetra Bits so you can wean yourself off hatching brine shrimp. They should even eat worms at this point. If the parrents show any signs they want to spawn again pull them now. My favorite food for fry this size is ONF formula 1 frozen cubes just before a water change. HTH Rich