PDA

View Full Version : new discus laying on side

wheeler
06-12-2006, 03:08 AM
i wasn't too sure where this should go??? so here is the problems. i may just be a bit paranoid...

i just got a new discus and i've had experiences in the past that they lay on there side during transit. the discus in question (approx. 5") was doing the same and normally they become upright and somewhat normal swimming in the tank within some time. this little fellow is still laying on his side approx. 1/2 hr later and seems to be breathing lightly. water params are exactly the same as what he came out of because all the water used was what he was in (lots and lots of buckets). he seems to still have a bit of spunk in him because i adjusted the sponge filter beside him and he became upright and swam away. within a couple of minutes he found a new area to just lay down in again.

sorry for the long post but i just wanted to be sure i was not going to lose this guy. thanks in advance.

steve.ryall
06-12-2006, 07:13 AM
hey Wheeler,

Sounds like he just needs a bit of time to get over the journey. He should be ok in a little while. We often need time to get upright after going on a rollacoaster, guess fish might be the same.
I am sure an expert will give you better advice soon.

Steve

wheeler
06-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Steve:

Thanks for the reply, I was up until 4:00 this morning very worried about him. So when i finally told myself that it was time to go to bed, he had started to come to the upright position. But now has developed some type of fungus on his body not sure if it is a stress fungus or if it was already like that when we got him, so we have treated the tank in hopes that in a few days he will have adjusted to everything that is going on.

Stephanie and Jamie

pcsb23
06-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Is this fish in qt? If not it should be. If it has fungus on its body a short salt bath will deal with it. 2 tablespoons in one gallon, airstone if required. Watch all the time, if it rolls - which yours may well do - net it out and back into qt, otherwise give it 20 mins. Repeat if necessary in 2 days. You should be doing minimum of 50% w/c daily for now, prefereably with aged preheated water. Make sure to use a dechlor if necessary.

wheeler
06-12-2006, 04:25 PM
yes we have the fish in quarentine, He seems to be doing a little better today, I will try the salt bath and see if that helps. Tonight will be my first water change, the water is heated and aged and all that good stuff that we need to do to keep these guys happy. Thanks for your idea and hope the salt works! Is there any particular reason as to why this has happened?

Stephanie and Jamie

pcsb23
06-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Its probably down to being slightly stressed and also laying on the bottom. The bottom of the tank is the dirtiest place, the highest concentrations of bacteria are on the bottom. One good reason to always wipe the bottom of the tank at each w/c. (I use a paper towel or filter floss).

wheeler
06-13-2006, 10:37 AM
well, I am glad to say that he is well on his way to recovery. The saltwater had worked, there is still a little bit of stuff on the side of him still so i am going to treat him once more. Hopefully that does the trick. Thank you to everyone who gave great advice, and information it had all helped.

Stephanie and Jamie