PDA

View Full Version : How Many???

gem4966
06-12-2006, 03:28 AM
I haven't even come close to buying any discus as I don't know enough. But, I am considering it and currently have a 55 gal tank. It's got fish in it now, but, if I do ever lose this knot in my stomach about discus, I plan to use the 55 for them and will put the fish that currently reside there in other tank/tanks. So....one question is how many discus could I comfortably house in a 55 gallon tank. One person on another forum told me that it's best to start with about 6 fish (natural selection in pairing off) to avoid fighting. but in the same sentance told me that a 55 gallon would be big enough to comfotably house only one pair. I have seen large discus so the second scenario makes sense though they don't seem to move around a whole lot.
I have tons more questions but think that if I keep reading posts on here they may be answered, so I'll just start with that one and let ya know if I come up with any more. :D

White Worm
06-12-2006, 03:59 AM
5-7. Bare bottom tank for a start and keep the water clean with a great water change schedule. Frequency of water changes and type of substrate will be determined by what age of discus you purchase.

Kindredspirit
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Oh yeah!!

How fun this is gonna be yes? Ginger call me ~ cuz I want you to save your pennies ( quite a few but well worth it ) I want you to get quality fish okay?

We can go fish 'looking' ~ we can 'shop' at home but we can not BUY there okay?

You just have to start off with good strong healthy fish ~ if you do anything ~ do that first ~

You will be hooked ~ bank on it;) ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_8.gif

AADiscus
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I would start out with 6-8. That will be good for a 55 gal but you will need to keep up with your wc's. Don't start out with little ones get you some nice 2.5-4" range. Breeding discus are not normally done in a 55 gal. You use the 55 gal for grow out tanks for the fry after they have paired. Maybe that is what they were talking about. There is ALOT of information here. Go back thru the achieves also, you will find lots of info there and pictures of what the different strains everyone has. :)

pcsb23
06-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Welcome on board Ginger.

You have already been given some good advice above. The number of discus you keep in any given tank is dependant on how good you keep the water quality. Adult or sub adult discus are easier to start with in many ways, but growing out juvvies can be fun too! I would recommend starting with larger discus though. (they will cost a bit more :()

6 to 8 4" fish is a good starting point, regular w/c's and good food. Good luck and keep us posted.

Song
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
currently, i've only been feeding frozen blood worm... what else are good for discus?

gem4966
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks all! I am reading through archives a little at a time. Today is my day off from work so I may actually get a lot more reading done.

Marie - I will defo come to you for help when I'm ready for some fish. I need to get another tank for the inhabitants of my 55...which will be several months I'm sure. This will give me time to learn more as well. :D

pcsb23 & AADiscus - thanks. I had been told that I would be wise to go with larger sized (at least 3 inch) discus to start, as the younger the more delicate and labor intensive. So, thanks...you have definately confirmed that. I would love to get small ones and watch them grow, but I think I will save that for when I have the hang of caring for them properly.

Mikscus - So BB is best....is that because it's easier to keep clean? Or preventative disease wise? I can imagine it would be easier to keep up. I haven't ever been fond of the look of BB tanks. But then I have seen some on here and SC that looks great. Maybe I will sacrafice the substrate and learn how to appreciate the BB look. How regular of water changes. currently I do water changes once a week.....with my Kribs, rams, tetras, and convicts. I have heard that it's good to change water with discus daily?
Thanks again forthe responses! :D

pcsb23
06-12-2006, 01:39 PM
BBB (boring bare bottom) is easier because its easier to keep clean and if you have to medicate so you are spot on there. As for filters, its what floats your boat really. Sponges are nice and easy, reasonably effective and cheap, cannisters have the potential to be stronger bio filters but are a bit trickier to maintain, though with a prefilter sponge once every 6 months is normal. HOB's well I've not had much experience of them so can't comment.

As for w/c's daily is good, many would insist on it, truth is you and your discus will tell you. I'd start out at daily, if it becomes too much try doing every other day. You will soon see if the discus don't like it. Once into the routine a daily w/c doesn't take too long. I can do 8 tanks in an hour, one of the tanks is in a different room too and one is fully planted!

White Worm
06-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Mikscus - So BB is best....is that because it's easier to keep clean? Or preventative disease wise? I can imagine it would be easier to keep up. I haven't ever been fond of the look of BB tanks. But then I have seen some on here and SC that looks great. Maybe I will sacrafice the substrate and learn how to appreciate the BB look. How regular of water changes. currently I do water changes once a week.....with my Kribs, rams, tetras, and convicts. I have heard that it's good to change water with discus daily?
Thanks again forthe responses! :D

Yes, older discus are a little more foregiving if you make some mistakes. Young discus are a little more delicate and require proper care for best results. Better to get some little ones after you get the hang of it. BB...Best? For cleanliness, yes.... For looks? No!. Good to start with though and you can change it later. Paul said it best, your discus will let you know if they are happy with the w/c's. Marie will instruct you on how to age and prepare your water. I would check the parameters of the water you are going to use first. Get yourself a couple of good test kits and check your water supply for everything so you know what you are starting with. I would start with 50-70% every day or every 2nd day. Make sure you use prime during w/c just in case. You can adjust later after you get the feel for the discus. Its hard to explain but you will just know by their activity, color and general personality. Once a week is not enough. You will at least have to do 3-4 w/c's in a weeks period and like paul said, once you get your process going, it wont take much time at all. Mike

Dissident
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Discus can be tougher than most people give them credit. Starting out with a nice bunch of 2-3" is a great way to learn and have a lot of fun watching them grow. If you can get them from a local hobbiest breeder it wont hit the pocket book as bad as a LFS and you will have a better chance in getting healthy fish to start with.

BB would be the easiest route. I would not reccomend planted tanks unless you have a good amount of experience with them. You could always learn planted tanks on your other tank and keep the 55 as a BB discus tank and learn both.

I was hesitant at first when it came to discus, but found the only trick is consistant good water conditions and regular feeding and they will grow and be happy. That was 6months ago and I am already starting a new tank to get some more.

Alight
06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Marie will get you going very well, very soon and with very good fish.

Just to give you an example of why to go bare bottom and slightly older fish, I sold 6 - 2 inch discus to a person who has a nicely planted, 75 gallon tank ready for discus, with a few tetras and plecos in it. He lost all but one because of bacteria in the the planted tank that I would never had predicted he would have a problem with. He saved the one, and almost saved a couple of others by putting them in a bare bottom tank, and treating with antibiotic. Had he put them in a bare bottom tank to start with, adapted them for a while, grown them out to 4 -6 inches, he probably could have put them in his planted tank with no problems.

Kindredspirit
06-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Marie will get you going very well, very soon and with very good fish.

Now that ~ that is a compliment of the highest regards ~ esp coming from you Al ~

Thank you ~ that meant a lot ~

Ginger since you live in Sac Town we shall have fun yes? Arent you excited?? ******** I am for you!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

( and if we need any advice or help we will find Al:p )

ticman
06-30-2006, 02:19 PM
My first post. So much great information; so much to read; so much to learn; but it appears there are a great many people willing to share and help. That's fantastic.

So 6 to 8 for a 55 tank. Larger 3-4" vs juvies. Numerous water changes.

My question. Is it ok to mix and match Discus types ie 8 different types that I like or are pairs or trios better. Would love to see them pair off and breed but really want the excitment of all the variations.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

AADiscus
06-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Welcome to Simply Mike. There is not a problem with mixing and matching the different strains in one tank. The thing you want to keep is the approx. same size in the tank. You don't want to mix large adults with little juvies. JMO So........mix away!!! :D

Jarrod
06-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Mike.. First off Welcome to Simply!!...there's a TON of good info on here! Angela has given some very good advice as well as to the mix and match of strains in a tank...the only addendum IMHO would be if your intent was to breed to strains and wanted to to keep them as pure as you could. And the only other thought that I hold to PERSONALLY is I keep my stocking levels in my tanks to 1 fish per 10 gal's of water...but that is strictly my option and seems to work for me. The amount of wc's you do is up to you and your tanks and fishes status and overall health...again speaking strictly for myself I may or may not be going overboard but my fish are healthy and happy with me doing a minimum of a 50-90% water change daily in every tank. Ate any rate Mike again welcome to Simply and enjoy!!
Jarrod

ticman
06-30-2006, 04:08 PM
thanks jarrod and aadiscus.

Jarrod I assume you have a major plumbing set up to do 50-90% daily water changes. All I have is my trusty Python which once I get started I let it trickle via the syphon as it saves lots of water. I have a 55 tropical and 75 cichlid. Do weekly waterchanges. Guess I am gonna be doing them more frequently with Discus.

Thanks for you help.

Mike

Jarrod
06-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Mike...nope no major plumbing setup here at all...I use a Python as well...run from bathroom sink to tanks and taken down when I am done daily is all...the one good thing for me is I'm on my own private well and don't have to pay any water bills LOL...I do however use a different Python for each tank to prevent any cross contamination should it ever become a problem or occurence...but so far no problems at all of that sort...:)
Jarrod

QUOTE=ticman]thanks jarrod and aadiscus.

Jarrod I assume you have a major plumbing set up to do 50-90% daily water changes. All I have is my trusty Python which once I get started I let it trickle via the syphon as it saves lots of water. I have a 55 tropical and 75 cichlid. Do weekly waterchanges. Guess I am gonna be doing them more frequently with Discus.

Thanks for you help.

Mike[/QUOTE]