PDA

View Full Version : Fries mortality

aziyaeian
06-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi
I have recently got at a new problem.
I have some mortality in my fries after separating them from their parents.
Usually I separate them after 10- 14 days after free swimming. However, I had some mortality in tow recent batch. They are from a same parent, and I find 2-3 and some times more dead fries at the bottom of the tank every morning. Although this can be, happen during the day.
I tried to deep BBS in Metro solution for 20 minutes and feed it to them. I think it has decreased the rate of mortality, but hasn’t stopped it at all.
Tow days ago I separated a new huge batch. And today I found about 10 dead fries at the bottom, 3 hours after feeding. Is it possible to over feeding would be the reason? All of them have feed very well and they have very bloated stomach.
I don’t know what the problem is. Any idea will be helpful.
May I treat the parents with metro? Their faeces hasn’t any symptom of diseases.
Should I use Epsom salt after feeding?

Regards
Afshin

pcsb23
06-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Ashfin,

Normally mortality in fry is caused by flukes, not always but most often. I would treat the parents with a gillfluke treatment before they lay a new batch, and also treat the fry you have now too!

One of the guys I know in the UK uses acriflavine once he seperates the fry as a preventative, I've not tried it enough to know for sure, but I have treated fry with formalin and no ill effects.

hth,

aziyaeian
06-15-2006, 02:14 AM
Ashfin,

Normally mortality in fry is caused by flukes, not always but most often. I would treat the parents with a gillfluke treatment before they lay a new batch, and also treat the fry you have now too! ,

would you please explane more about it. what kind of treatment, dosage for parents and fries, time and any other important info?

but I have treated fry with formalin and no ill effects.

hth,

Why do you do it? do you do it every time? or sometimes only?
do you use short bath or not?
I think my problem is internal effect. because they stomach are bloated. off coarse after feeding. and the dead ones have the stomach full of BBS.

Regards
Afshin

pcsb23
06-15-2006, 04:20 AM
Ashfin, I use the formailin to treat for flukes. 1ml per 10 gallons is the dose. I only treat if its necessary.

If they are bloated then epsom salts should do the trick.