PDA

View Full Version : methylene blue for CBW's

dixiedog
06-15-2006, 03:20 PM
I've heard people say they treat CBW's with methylene blue ... just wondering how much and for how long, etc. It sounded like a good idea to me.

Any opinions??

Gene

ShinShin
06-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Tell me why anyone would feed their prized discus a food that they feel needs to be treated for parasites before it is acceptable to feed to their discus? Then, please, please, please (Yes, I grew up during the James Brown era), tell me that you feel CBW's are safe as a discus food.

Mat

dixiedog
06-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Tell me why anyone would feed their prized discus a food that they feel needs to be treated for parasites before it is acceptable to feed to their discus? Then, please, please, please (Yes, I grew up during the James Brown era), tell me that you feel CBW's are safe as a discus food.

Mat

I can't help myself, Mat! It's the adrenaline rush I get from the danger of it.

I'm just a wild, risk-taking rebel, and that's all I'll ever be.

Cosmo
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I fed CBWs up until just recently. Stopped primarily for two reasons.. 1) the expense and 2) the PITA of cleaning them.

In third place was the issue of health concerns, although I fed them for a long long (long) time and can't directly link any health problems to them.

When I did feed them, I used a solution of 2 drops meth blue per gallon to both wash them on arrival and for daily cleaning and storage.

Not so much to kill parasites as to retard any potential bacterial growth.

hth

Jim

lhforbes12
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Dixie & Mat,
Read this http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=20977

I still feed mine CBW and have never had a problem, but then I used to feed live tubiflex many many many years ago and never had a problem then either.
CBW are NOT tubiflex, the bad case against them is simply untrue. Well.. just read the thread.
I believe Mat is very knowledgable about discus but I also think we all have our set ways that we are used to.

Larry

Tony_S
06-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Im a big proponent of CBW myself, Ive used them on and off(mostly on) for about 10 years. There isnt a better food available for discus IMO.

I also dont believe that CBW are secondary hosts to ANY type of parasite thats harmful to discus. Ive NEVER seen anything to support those claims, scientific evidence or first hand evidence, that they do.

Bacterial problems...well thats another issue altogether. CBW's can and will harbor and transfer some NASTY bacterial problems if they arent PURCHASED HEALTHY, AND KEPT HEALTHY. Feeding dead and/or dying worms is good way to end up with dead and dying discus.

Ive never been a believer of the meth blue route...if there's any question about the health and cleanliness of the worms...DONT USE THEM!

Tony