PDA

View Full Version : Prefered Acclimation Method

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Just curious to hear what everyone uses for an acclimation method for Discus. My plan is to use the drip method but I would like to hear from some of you who have acclimated these fish and how you did it.

Mack
06-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Many "high-volume" discus importers do the "handgrenade" technique...grab the fish out and drop into the tank! The drip method would probably be safer...
In my experience, I usually worry only about the difference in temperature. Get the bag as close the tank temp. by some means. Usually if the fish has been shipped in the bag, you want to get it out as soon as possible. If you are transporting a small distance, the water parameters usually are very similar to your own, so there shouldn't be a problem...

nacra99
06-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Dispite all the fuss floating around about drip acclimation and potential ammonia burns that are allegedly associated with the drip, I still prefer the drip method over the "float" method.

Dissident
06-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Short distance < 24hrs float to match temp and drop them in (lights out and salt)
Long distance > 24hrs Drop them in (lights out and salt)

Carol_Roberts
06-15-2006, 06:47 PM
I try to make the QT tank water similar to the water they came from same GH and pH. Reach in bag, grasp fish in both hands and plop in tank :)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Now that you bring up the QT tank Carol, how big is yours?

Upper Canada
06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
The acclimation process is very important and should not be rushed. Fish are under stress during shipping and any additional stress should be minimized.

When I receive a shipment I reduce the Ph level in the tanks to 6.0 in order to match the Ph in the bags. I know what the Ph will be however if you don't you can take a reading and make the adjustment if it is significantly different.
The longer they have been in the bag the lower will be the Ph assuming the average starting Ph is 7 to 7.5.

Cut the tops off of a number of bags and pour them into a container ( fish box etc ) which can be tilted on its side. I then drop in an airstone and an airline drawing water from the tank, controlled by an air valve. Add in more fish to say 15 or 20 depending on size, adults two to six. As the water rises in the container remove and discard some ( I use a plastic coffee container ) this allows two things to happen. The incomming water from the tank can raise the temperature of the water sooner, and the fish receive oxygenated water in a growing proportion.

Once you have one container underway you start the next one and so on.
I have drip lines and airstones all layed out ahead, and adequet water for the tanks.

After a minimum of 45 minutes, when the temperature is close to the tank then lift them out with a net or hand.

If you only have one or two bags you can float them in their tank pouring in some tank water every 10 minutes or so, removing excess water with a small cup. When they are in a bag it is easy to lift them out with your hand, discard the bag's water.

Bob

Martin
06-16-2006, 03:52 AM
I read somewhere that fish need 24+ hours to get Acclimated(spelling?). I mostly use the handgrenade method. I always consider what the least stressfull way is. I allways try to get them into a tank as soon as possible.

Upper Canada
06-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi Martin,

If a fish is placed in a bag with oxygen properly it can last beyond 36 hours, so an extra 30 minutes I would consider as time well spent. Look at it from the fish's point of view, not the way you or I might " think " the fish feels.

The exception would be if the fish looked to be in very bad shape and therefore such a desperate move was justified.

Just my opinion of course, everyone should do as they please.

Bob

www.uppercanadadiscus.com

Carol_Roberts
06-16-2006, 04:16 PM
My QT tank is located in teh kitchen away from other tanks and is about 55 gallons.

pcsb23
06-16-2006, 04:26 PM
I pretty much do it the way Bob describes, making sure the water going in is ph around 6 or so. Any ammonia becomes ammonium then.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-16-2006, 04:29 PM
I finally got my brain in gear a couple of days ago. :rolleyes: When I move my Eco Complete to my 75gal tank I will have a BB 37g tall. Sounds like a good QT or breeder to me. :) Anyone else think that's a decent idea?

pcsb23
06-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I finally got my brain in gear a couple of days ago. :rolleyes: When I move my Eco Complete to my 75gal tank I will have a BB 37g tall. Sounds like a good QT or breeder to me. :) Anyone else think that's a decent idea?
Can you come and clear my brain for me too? :) I think the 37 will be perfectly fine for both.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-16-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm getting rather excited about this whole thing. Now if someone would only buy that Reef of mine on eBay then I could get started. :) The great thing will be, is that my 37 has been running for about 6 months now and is very well established. As soon as I remove the substrate and plants (previously in the 75 when it was planted before) I will have an established BB 37gal. :) Correct me if I'm wrong but I would think I could immediatly add Discus to this tank while I get the 75 established again. Cycling will be basically instant since I have placed a filter pad for my Eheim 2215 in the back of my Emperor 400 on my 60 gal tank. :)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Yeah! My Reef sold today. :) The Discus are not too far off. :)