View Full Version : I NEED HELP FAST!

rye22
06-17-2006, 11:03 AM
my discus are sitting at the bottome of the tank, dark and clamed up. Both of thier side fins are not moving and are at just on their side of thier bodies. I lost one yestering with starting doing the same symtoms and then his stomach got real bloated. So i treated him for bloat, but obviously it didnt work. So now i am cluless what i should do. I am doing a massive water change right now (90%)

so the symtoms are again:
-dark
-clamed
-not eating
-sitting at the bottom of the tank at a angle

Dissident
06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
If they are breathing very slowly it sounds like a case of CO2 toxic shock. That would be the guess if it was in my planted tanks after a WC. If they started behaveing like this right after a large WC that could be the problem.

If the fish have been like this for some time now it would most likley be other factors. More info would be helpfull.

Are you ageing water? Tap? Well?
No2/No3/NH4 -Tap and tank
Ph/Kh -Tap and tank
Temp

Anything recently added to the tank?
BB/Gravel/Planted/etc?

A pic or 2 could help too.

lhforbes12
06-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Like Dissident the very first thing that occured to me was CO2 poisoning. But more information is certainly needed.

rye22
06-17-2006, 01:50 PM
so if its co2 poisoning how do you cure it?

Cosmo
06-17-2006, 02:18 PM
If C02 - airstone(s), increased surface turbulance

Definately sounds like a water issue, so what are the other parameters?

Jim

crazie.eddie
06-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Don't give any cures UNTIL you know the cause. You could worsen the condition of the discus. If you could answer Dissident's questions, we couuld help you more.

Also, when was the last time you did a maintenance (water change & gravel cleaning)?

How long have you had the discus?

EDIT: I just read some some of your previous posts...

Are these the same 2 discus you are treating with Furan? If so is there any reason why you treated them with Furan? It's good to quarantine fish when you first get them, but you normally only medicate fish IF they are from the wild. If they are bred fish, the best thing to do is just quarantine them for a few weeks to check for signs of disease or illness.

When you bring home fish (bred or wild) the fish are stressed. When fish are stressed, their immunity is weakened. Adding medication in the tank could stress the fish even more. Most meds kills the bad and good (nitrifying bacteria) in the tank, therefore, the tank could go through a small cycle, which would stress the fish as well.

Best thing to do is answer the above questions.
Let the fish rest (turn off lights in the room and don't keep bothering it). Hopefully it will get back to normal again.

Dissident
06-17-2006, 05:41 PM
so if its co2 poisoning how do you cure it?

IF is the definitive here.
IF it is CO2 more WC will make it worse. Airate the water, can take upto 24hrs to gass-off.

BUT we don't know where you are even getting your water for the WC or if you are even treating the water with something like PRIME...

A problem like you are having could be a dozen things... treating for a dozen things at once hopeing to find the right cure will make things worse.
Shotgun treatments will typically cause more problems than they solve.

Help us help you.