PDA

View Full Version : is this safe?

playaslk
06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I just came across a thread about a person with a house fire that started possibly due to a ODNO unit.

It got me thinking about my setup which is not ODNO but probably far from "the safest".

I have a 55 with 2 10s in the "underbelly" of the walmart stand.

The 55 is not covered with 2 4 foot shoplights about 5 inches from the water. I dont have any bubbles bursting on the surface with a hang-on-the-side whisper filter providing most of the water movement on the surface.

the 2 4 foot shoplights are not overdriven and do not get very got at all (except on the ends by the endcaps). Is this a problem (with water evap?) Hopefully i am being over paranoid but better be safe than sorry.

Also, how dangerous is it to yank the ground prong off of a surge protector in order to fit it into a timer or whatever else that only has 2 prong space?

Dissident
06-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I would never ODNO when you can get ~200W over a tank for less than $100

Get new timers that are grounded, and replace outlets around tank with GFI if you plan to ODNO and make sure you have renters/homeowners insurance.

playaslk
06-17-2006, 12:03 PM
my lights are not ODNO and will not be

They are just standard, HD 4 foot shoplights without electronic ballasts ( i think they are magnetic or whatever the other kind is)

I have 4 lightbulbs (40 watts each) running about 12-14 hours a day.

so not an ODNO setup

lhforbes12
06-17-2006, 12:07 PM
I agree with Dissident about the cost of a proper fluorescent fixture.. The ground plug was put there to protect you, not as a nuisance. Hanging shoplights, especially ungrounded shoplights, is just asking for trouble, made even worse by no glass on top. You don't have end caps, you have open connections where water will most certainly collect.

Greg Richardson
06-17-2006, 02:28 PM
I'd go buy some glass for the top.