PDA

View Full Version : Wild Discus Question

RedneckDaveAb
06-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Why are my two wilds so skiddish?

I thought "wild" fish would be "tough" and rule the roost. Well, the two I got are at the bottom of the pecking order. We were a bit conserned about how thin they got but we got that under control (with better food and feeding several times and places in the tank etc)

Is this normal?

Dave

Dissident
06-17-2006, 06:19 PM
I dont think 'tough' would necessarly mean that Wild discus could kick a domestic discus's butt.

If the wilds were added to a tank with several other fish that have already gotten ther pecking order set it would be very hard for any new introductions to the tank to get that top few spots. Moveing tank decor around could help a little but it would praobably take a few months for the new guys to work their way up the ranks.

I had 3 RTs in a tank and introduced 6 BSS, although the RTs were smaller they picked on the larger BSS who outnumbered them for months untill the BSS showed them their place.

chompy
06-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Tank bred discus are usually always hardier than wilds, so this isn't a surprise

RedneckDaveAb
06-17-2006, 06:39 PM
What is RT and BSS???

Dave:confused:

Dissident
06-17-2006, 06:45 PM
sorry, RT= Red Turquoise, BSS=Blue SnakeSkin

RedneckDaveAb
06-17-2006, 07:00 PM
AAhhhh!

Dave :)

Dissident
06-17-2006, 07:03 PM
As long as it is under control and everyone is eating and happy I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy your fish.