PDA

View Full Version : When should I move the fry?

stiver james
06-19-2006, 02:00 PM
I just read a thread on seperating the fry from the parents. My babies are atleast 3-4 weeks old. They are feeding well on hatched bbs and they do eat chopped frozen bw. Some of them are about the size of a nickel and others are smaller. This was a small hatch only 17. Two of them died. I have a tank set up with half fresh water and the other half from the breeding tank. Temps are the same. My question is it now safe to seperate or can I leave them with the parents awhile longer? The parents don't seem to be to stressed although the do stay dark in color alot. I figure with this small of a hatch I could leave them in there awhile longer. Can someone help me with this? I just don't want to lose anymore but I do want this pair to spawn again as they are great parents. All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Alight
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Totally safe to move them at this point. They are getting to the size where gill flukes can become a problem, so keep their new tank very clean (should not be a big problem since you have only a few).

Both the fry and the parents will be better off if you move them now.

AADiscus
06-19-2006, 04:37 PM
You could move them now since they are eating other foods besides the parents. If you feed bh go ahead and start getting them to eat it. It will take a few tries for them to figure out this new food. If the parents don't seem stressed you could leave them with the fry for a little bit longer but I think they will do better on there own now. Keep them (babies) on aged tap water with temps around 84-86. Big wc's every day and keep there tank CLEAN!!!!

Carol_Roberts
06-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I would move them now - the parents may decide to spawn again and kill them . . .

AADiscus
06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I agree with Carol. If the parents are even acting like they want to spawn then you need to pull the babies out.

Kindredspirit
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
So Angela ~ they will kill the fry if they spawn again? Why is that? Even if they are nickle size? How soon cld a pair spawn after the first spawn?

Very interesting .....

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_5_33.gif

AADiscus
06-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Marie, the fry is a threat to the new spawn so that is why they will eat them. We have had a pair have 2 swimmers on them (they ate the rest) while they had wigglers on a cone. Sometimes if this happens with any of our breeders we move them to an adopted parent(s). We have a couple pairs that don't mind raising other fishes babies. Depending on how old the pair is she could spawn a week after the first spawn. That is why some will pull females out so they can put them with another male to spawn or so that they don't eat the babies.

Kindredspirit
06-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Impressive Angela ~ It is amazing how much you guys know! Must have taken years to learn it all yes?

Thank you:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif