PDA

View Full Version : help with transferring discus to new tank.

PermyPerm
06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
well as of right now i have my 2 discus in a 29 gallon takn with gravel and i want to move them to my 55 gallon. The only problem i am having is that the 55 hasnt been set up for a couple months now. I want the best for these fish so i am planning to go bare bottom with a couple peices of wood and a bit of hornwart for floating plants to help with any unwanted nitrates in the tank. My big question tho, is whats the best way to transfer these fish into the new tank? thanks in advance for any advice.

Permy

Kweenshaker
06-21-2006, 01:59 PM
if you put the filter media from your 29 gallon in the 55 as well as all of the water, you won't have to worry about cycling issues. As long as the pH is the same as in the old tank, I don't see why there should be any problems. :)

PermyPerm
06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
well the plan was to use the filter off the 29 gallon, because it is a large filter. It was the filter used on the 55 untill i took down the tank to upgrade to a new 75 gallon for my oscars. i was also going to use all the water from the 29 and take the peices of wood from the 29 as well.

Ryan
06-21-2006, 02:19 PM
If the tank is empty currently, the water is the same in both tanks (same pH and temperature), and you move over the established filter, you should be all set. Just fill the tank and move the fish over.

Ryan

AADiscus
06-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I agree with everyone else. Fill the 55 up with the water out of the 29 and fill the rest up with fresh water. Move everything over. You might see a small cycle go thru but it shouldn't affect anything.

Carol_Roberts
06-21-2006, 04:38 PM
You don't even need to move water from the 29. The good bacteria all all in the filter. Simply fill the new tank with dechlorinated, warm water and let the filter run on the new tank for an hours or so to make sure the pH and temperature are the same - then just add the discus.

PermyPerm
06-21-2006, 08:16 PM
thank you everyone for your replies i decided im goign to fill the 55 up 3/4 of the way and let it sit and get up to the right temp, then im going to put in the wood and add the filter and let it run, then im goign to fill the tank up the res of the way with the water from the 29 gallon.

April
06-21-2006, 08:48 PM
sounds good. they'll love it. they can stretch their little fins.