PDA

View Full Version : Well, FINALLY............, a twitch!

traco
06-21-2006, 09:55 PM
So here I have been reading everyone's posts about their discus spawning, twitching, spring is in the air, etc.... and my guys, nothing.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif

So, the past 4 days, my blue turq has darkened. Thought oh great, now what!! Water parms. checked out fine. Now today, one of the gold pigeons is staying by the intake filter and twitching like crazy. So who knows if I have all males, all females, or a mix but FINALLY I am seeing what others have written about!:D

Old hat to most here but still was exciting to see in real time.

And, no, the breeder tanks are not coming out!!!

Kay, I'll stop babbling now!

lhforbes12
06-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Barb,
Congrats!

<--------- looking for Barb's breeder tanks

marilyn1998
06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Tres cool Barb!!!! It is so much fun watching them display and strut their stuff!

Dissident
06-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Very cool!
Better be my turn soon ;)

AmberC
06-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Yay Barb!!!! How exciting!!! Oooh.. your gonna get some more fry now! Have the cockatoos spawned again?

Amber

traco
06-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone.

Yep, the cockatoos spawned again, male started eating the babies AGAIN!! Pulled him and the Mom only has 6 left but 6 is better than 0.

LizStreithorst
06-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I rememeber the first time I saw breeding activity. I couldn't believe that I was doing things correctly enough that the fish would be trying to reproduce. After a couple days of twitching I actually caught the pair in the act. I was sooooo glad it was on a Saturday. I stayed in front of that tank all day watching them lay, fertilize, fan and mouth the eggs. It was too cool.
Good luck!

AmberC
06-23-2006, 06:38 AM
Thanks everyone.

Yep, the cockatoos spawned again, male started eating the babies AGAIN!! Pulled him and the Mom only has 6 left but 6 is better than 0.

What is up with Dad! I hope the survivors do well this time! You'll have to put up some pics!

Amber

traco
06-25-2006, 09:16 PM
So, now the two have moved over the stealth heater. I'm not worried about the eggs but this heater is working and they could burn themselves if they decide to lay there?

So it would be better to have it horizontal? Damn, and vertical really looked nice for esthetics! Now I have to rearrange furniture for them?

Kindredspirit
06-25-2006, 09:52 PM
I rememeber the first time I saw breeding activity. I couldn't believe that I was doing things correctly enough that the fish would be trying to reproduce. After a couple days of twitching I actually caught the pair in the act. I was sooooo glad it was on a Saturday. I stayed in front of that tank all day watching them lay, fertilize, fan and mouth the eggs. It was too cool.
Good luck!

Did you sit with your camera Liz? That wld have been so cool to be you that day!!!

Sue50
06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Congratulations Barb! That is exciting!!
:) Sue

AmberC
06-26-2006, 11:11 AM
So, now the two have moved over the stealth heater. I'm not worried about the eggs but this heater is working and they could burn themselves if they decide to lay there?

So it would be better to have it horizontal? Damn, and vertical really looked nice for esthetics! Now I have to rearrange furniture for them?

Hmm.. I'm not sure. I never had mine look at the heater. Maybe you could get a pot to stick in and hopefully they would start looking at that instead?

Amber

marilyn1998
06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
mine keep picking on the heater. The female could possible burn her ovipositor and get scarred. This could tresult in eggbniding and even death. Horizontal is best. I cant do horizontal cuz I cant reach into the tank to keep putting the suction cups back on the glass. So I turn off the heater when she starts to lay. Mine seem to pick the same time of night (8:00) to lay each each time.

traco
06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Welcome, Sue50!!!;) Nice to see you here, thought that discus looked familiar.:D

And Marilyn, that was what I was worried about was when she lays the eggs, burning herself. Of course, they have not laid anything and for all I know, could be two males, two females, or a pair.

used2bBubbles
06-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Holy cow, you've got all kind of reproductive action going on over at your house, Barb! I didn't know you had cockatoos that spawned. I bet the babies are absolutely darling!

And maybe this is your pair's practice run...have you got a brick or breeding slate in there that might attract their attention?

traco
06-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Yep, the cockatoo babies are so cute and I love the Mom. She is a great parent. I only have 2 babies left this spawn!:( Dad ate a whole bunch while I was thinking they had not hatched yet!! I'll get it figured out soon. Now I know to pull Dad after spawning.

I'm learning though.:D

used2bBubbles
06-27-2006, 12:34 AM
How cool is that!!!! How long does it take the eggs to hatch? And how many eggs are there (usually)?

Have you got pictures? Come on! I want pictures!

Sue50
06-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Rats, you found me out!! LOL
Sue