PDA

View Full Version : can you actually see the male do his thing?

mickeyG
06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Silly I know but can one see if the eggs get fertalized. I bought 4 discus and so far (5 weeks) I know I have at least 2 female cause I watched them lay their eggs.

When the blue diamond female layed, the other blue diamond (not the egg layer) hung back and didn't seem too interested.

But

when my red scribble layed eggs, the other red scribble would follow right behind her up the rock. However, I couldn't tell if he fertalized them, or maybe even if it is a she instead. When s/he followed the female up the rock, s/he kinda looked like she was laying eggs but no eggs were coming out.
Is that what the male does, or what does he do? (I know how it works, just don't know if you can tell by watching.)

How can you tell who's what?

Michael

kaceyo
06-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Michael,
It sounds like your scribble is trying to fertilze but you can't be sure till you see the eggs are viable. The male will follow the female after she has made a few runs along the spawning surface laying eggs, just as you described. They take turns making their passes laying and fertilizing. With an unproven pair you don't know for sure if the "male" really is a male untill you see the fertilized eggs developing. Sometimes another female will go thru all the motions of a male while you wait forever for the eggs to be fertilized. Also young males often aren't fertile yet when they start spawning. The eggs will stay clearish (rather than turn milky) and sometimes you can see a dark spot forming inside the egg if they are viable. HTH

Kacey

mickeyG
06-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Kacey,

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep my eye out. I guess I will be able to tell soon enough. I expect I might have trouble with 2 pair in the same 50g tank that measures 30"L x 18.5"D x 21"H...? But it will all get sorted out.

Thanks again

Michael